Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Anurav's Avatar
    Anurav Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 5, 2021, 06:12 PM
    Reporting gain from selling mutual funds in another country

    Years ago I used to live in Singapore where I had invested in some mutual funds.. Since then I moved to the USA and living here for the last 10 years and reporting my taxes in the USA.

    I never sold my Singapore mutual funds. If I sell them now, how I am going to report the gains to IRS in the US? Please help.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 10, 2022, 08:43 AM

    Yes, any capital gains from the sale of the Singapore mutual funds needs to be reported on your U.S. tax return on Schedule D.

    Further, the Singapore mutual funds are considered to be a PFIC (Passive Foreign Investment Company), and their marked-to-market value must be reported each year on Form 8621.

    Contact me at [email protected] if you want my help with this.

    Atlanta Tax Expert

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mutual funds [ 1 Answers ]

What are the stipulations for early withdrawal from mutual funds and what are the taxes and penalty's

Mutual Funds [ 2 Answers ]

I am starting to take an interest into investments and I hear mutual funds are great ways to start up an investment portfolio. My question is how much should I invest, I work at sears as a commission sales man, I am also paying for school so that wipes me clean during the time of paying classes,...

Mutual Funds [ 5 Answers ]

How are Mutual funds beneficial in tax planning? If we chose mutual funds, there are lot of banks issuing the same. What is the key critirion used to decide about selection of mutual funds

Mutual funds [ 2 Answers ]

Should I get out of my mutual funds now or wait?

View more questions Search