Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    krazykids125's Avatar
    krazykids125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 18, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Per-diem salary.
    I work in a Catholic Nursery school on a per-diem basis. They do not take taxes out and
    I was wondering if I will be taxed at the end of the year? I receive $10.00 per hour. Please help me!! :confused:
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Sep 18, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Of course you will have to pay tax at the end of the year when you file you income tax and report your income.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Sep 18, 2008, 07:18 PM
    It sounds you are self employed, working as a private contractor for this company. You will pay normal taxes but self employment taxes ( will get a 1099 at the end of the year) You need to set back 3 to 4 dollars a hour back for taxes most likely ( depends on your tax status)
    Clough's Avatar
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

    Sep 18, 2008, 10:38 PM
    If you are going to pay taxes on what you are earning, it would depend on how much you are earning on this per diem basis income per year and whether you have any other income. How much do you figure that you will earn in a year doing this kind of employment and do you have any other source of income, please?

    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Sep 19, 2008, 02:16 AM
    Fr_Chuck is right, good idea to have a withholding account (money you put away for a specified reason) so you have the money for taxes available when the time comes and don't have to scramble to pay it. That is if you don't need every penny you have for living expenses and bills at the end of the month. It isn't easy being an independent contractor, although it looks attractive at first, because basically you have to run your finances like a business.

    I am not an independent but my son and husband use the Quicken programme as they are independent contractors.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Sep 19, 2008, 10:37 AM
    If this is your ONLY source of income, then 30% ($3 for every $10 earned) should be sufficient to cover your end-of-year tax liability.

    If you continue working at this nursery past this year, you will need to file an estimated quarterly tax return (Form 1040-ES) and pay quarterly estimated taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Per diem? [ 1 Answers ]

I work construction and the per diem rates in the last year or so have jumped way up. Which is good for me but then how do I deal with the large amount that I earn that way. Like I receive per diem at a rate of $100 for everyday of the week. Am I required to claim that and pay taxes on it and is...

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

View more questions Search