Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    karen85's Avatar
    karen85 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 31, 2005, 10:10 AM
    I was penalise for being on strike that was called by my union.according to the tayalor law,it is 2days pay for every day on there any way I can reduse my taxable income by the amount of penalty.
    I believe it is a cost of doing business(work).I don't know if my logic will fly.Or
    Where on the tax form to deduct the amout which 32 days of pay.
    I glad that I am able to communicate with so many experts.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,772, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Dec 31, 2005, 10:38 AM

    Sorry, but, In my opinion, that will not fly.

    The penalty of which you speak (two days pay for every day on strike) is a punitive fine similar to the fine for a traffic ticket that a cab driver would pay. The argument you gave about it being "a cost of doing business" would apply to the cab driver as well, yet he/she is not allowed to deduct the traffic fines they receive as a result of the ticket.

    If you could deduct it, it would be an employee business expense that is claimed on Schedule A under miscellaneous deductions. I do NOT recommend making such a deduction, however.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k penalty [ 2 Answers ]

First time homebuying classifies for the non pentalty right? How do they tax, before you receive it or add it to your yearly income come tax time.

Redemption Penalty [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice regarding my mortgage and a redemption penalty I will be facing due to an imminent change in property et. My hands are tied it seems and I cannot hold of the move without losing the sale on the house. There is one final payment left on my current...

Penalty [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question on behalf my friend: He came to US in 2004 with F1 and work in OPT in tax year 2005. He should have filed 1040NR. However, he carelessly filed 1040 for resident alien and already got tax refund from IRS. In this case, should he file amendment? What will happen if he should...

401k tax & penalty [ 1 Answers ]

The company I worked for closed April,2005 and we were given our entire 401k balance. I have no plans to roll this over. I have placed 30% into a savings acount because I know I must pay 20% tax and 10% penalty. My question is: Is the tax and penalty due now or can they both be done at tax...

Cashing in 401k penalty [ 0 Answers ]

In 2002 I cashed in a 401k and received about 14,000. I knew about the taxes but didn't know for sure I would receive a penalty because everything I read said I "may" and I figured they would let me know... anyway, I owed the IRS 1,800 and they put me on a pmt plan of $25 to federal IRS every month...

View more questions Search