Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mrsmunk's Avatar
    mrsmunk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 28, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Paying out of state taxes
    My husband works in NYC but we live in NJ. His W2 shows only NJ taxes. Should we have paid NYC taxes? How do we fix this?
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Mar 28, 2009, 03:55 PM

    No he will not pay NYC taxes as he does not live in NYC. He must report the income to both the states.
    If you are present in a state, then any income earned during this period, must be reported to the state.
    To your resident state, you must report your worldwide income for the year or for the residency period. If you paid taxes to another state, then you will claim credit for those taxes.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying two state taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I work in a different state than I live in, do I have to pay taxes in both states?

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

US citizen living overseas paying US state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen residing permanently the UK(my last US residence was NJ in 1997). I do, however, occasionally earn income in the US, as a self-employed musician. This year, I worked in NY for 2 months, and KY for 5 days. I received 1099-MISC for both jobs(ie no state or federal taxes were...

S corporation paying state taxes in two states [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My partner and I have an S corporation set up in Illinois. He is permanently moving to Iowa. We work as independent contractors on various projects--his mainly in Iowa. As an S corporation, we are employees of the corporation and pay ourselves wages every month. How do we handle paying the...

Paying ga. State income taxes on income earned in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I earned money working in Texas, which does not have a state income tax, however I discovered when I filed my taxes I was being assesed taxes on income I did not earn in Georgia, I don't know the law, but I feel this is unfair.

View more questions Search