Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    econfkw's Avatar
    econfkw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 27, 2007, 11:37 PM
    Pay no New York state tax?
    I landed US Aug, 1998. I began to work since 2001. I'm still holding F-1 visa, am I considered as nonresident alien?

    When filing federal tax, can I use 1040NR?

    I have a copy of IT203 for 2004 New York state tax, which was prepared by turbo tax software. The software put $0 on all New York state income, so I didn't pay any state nor New York city tax. In fact, I got all of them refunded. Is it true that F-1 students do not pay state nor city tax.
    It's very important. Because I prepared 2005 state tax by myself, and I found that I owed NY state tax. So a check was sent to them.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,772, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 28, 2007, 08:52 AM
    You are NOT a non-resident alien. The exemption status granted under the F-1 visa is good only for five years. For sure, it expired on 31 Dec 2005. It may have expired at the end of 2002.

    Hence, you MUST file Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.

    As for NY, if you earn income in NY, you must pay NY state income taxes. Same applies for NYC. The fact that you are in F-1 visa status seems to have no effect on that fact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file New York State Tax Return as Non Resident ? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for some advice about my state tax return. Thank you in advance for whoever can provide some guidance. I'm a french citizen and arrived in New York under a J-1 visa in July 2004. I filed as non resident for my 2004 tax return. In October 2005, I obtained the H1-B status....

Which State Tax to Pay ? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Tax Consultants, I work on a L1A Visa for an Indian Company which has its Head Quarters in USA. My Company is located in Illinois and Every Month my Pay check is given by This Office. And I am in their payroll system. But, Due to need of my Job Responsibility, I stay in Ohio and Work...

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didnít withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

What state would I pay income tax in? [ 1 Answers ]

If I worked in one state but lived in another, which one would I pay income tax in? Sates would prob be Vermont and New Hampshire, or MA and NH.

New York State Return [ 1 Answers ]

I have already filed my New York Tax Return about 3 weeks back. (nothing shows up on the status as yet). Filed IT-203 but I sent my W2 and did not send IT-2 What should I do?? Any suggestions??

View more questions Search