Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    pisacoff's Avatar
    pisacoff Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 9, 2010, 01:38 PM
    Over paid taxs
    Can I up my deductions if I overpaid tax the first six months of the year
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307

    Aug 9, 2010, 01:55 PM

    You can submit a new W4 any time to your employer to increase the number of allowances, which will reduce your withholding. Just be sure to follow the directions, and remember that when you sign the form you are certifying that your representation of the number of allowances is accurate. Even if you had more taxes withheld than necessary for the first 6 months, your goal should be to get it right going forward.

    How do you know you over-paid for the first 6 months?
    wnhough's Avatar
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12
    Full Member

    Aug 9, 2010, 05:43 PM
    QUOTE," . . . if I overpaid tax the first six months of the year . . ."--Right! Exactly. How do you know that you already overpaid your tax the first six months of the year, bud?? In general, you don't know it till you pay the whole of your estimated quarterly taxes as an employer(SECA Taxes) or FICA and other FIT & SIT withheld by your employer as an employee and comare the amount to the amount of your tax liaiblity on your 1040. If the amount of taxes withheld exceeds the amount of your 1040, the result will be tax refund due to overpayment!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Taxs When your spouse only works [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering how do me and my husband file your taxses when he's the only one that works? We have a baby girl that was born in 2009 too. So my question is when we file do we file together as married, and he puts me and our daughter as a dependent? Or do we file as married an just put our...

19 years old with 2 kids never worked is there any way I can file taxs [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 19 I have 2 kids I have no income never worked is there a way I can file taxs

Are there statues of limitions as applied to taxs [ 2 Answers ]

I was just assessed with unpaid taxs from 1990 1991 1992 and this was a great surprised to me as I thought this was taking care of in 99 In fact I have received refunds since then The capt

Taxs applicable upon change of status from OPT to H1 B [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! 1) I am in the US for the entire year in 2008. From January 2008 till Sept 2008 I will be earning income on OPT Status. From Oct 2008 till Dec 2008, I will work on H1 B status (about 92 days). Will I have to pay social security and medicare for the 92 days period that I will be on H1 B status?...

View more questions Search