Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    syn23's Avatar
    syn23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
    OPT to H1B visa and H4 visa tax

    I am from India and came to US on F1 visa in Jan 2005 and graduated in Dec 2007. Started working on OPT from Feb 2008 and also filed for H1B visa which starts in Oct 2008. Went back to India in Dec 2008 and got married. I came back in Jan 2009 and my wife in Feb 2009. I have W2 from my employer. I have never filed tax before.
    What is the procedure to file taxes for me and my wife.
    Which forms do we need to fill out.
    Also, am I a resident alien or non-resident alien ?
    How would I get the benefit of tax treaty between India and USA?

    Thanks in advance.
    IntlTax's Avatar
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

    Mar 14, 2009, 06:52 PM

    You have at two choices on how to file for 2008. You can file Form 1040NR as a nonresident alien. Although this is the simplest approach, you may pay more tax under this approach (you will not be able to file jointly with your wife, claim any standard deduction, or claim an exemption for your wife).

    Alternatively, you can elect to file a joint tax return (Form 1040) with your wife where you both will be treated as U.S. residents for the entire year. By electing to file a joint tax return, you will both be subject to U.S. tax on your worldwide income for the entire year 2008, and you will be subject to FICA taxes on your U.S. source wage income for the entire year 2008. However, you will be able to claim a standard deduction of $10,900, as well as two exemptions ($7,000).

    You cannot elect to file a joint tax return for 2008 until you meet the substantial presence test in 2009. You may need to extend the filing of your tax return to meet this requirement.

    If you file jointly and your spouse does not yet have an ITIN, you need to include Form W-7 with the tax return along with the documents indicated in Form W-7.

    Depending on which state you reside in, you may also be required to file a state income tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

While cancelling visa and going back to india for visa change what are things needed. [ 1 Answers ]

While cancelling visa and going back to india for visa change what are things needed

Cancellation of family visa to stamp work visa for KSA for my spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ALL, I want to know the procedure to cancel my wife's visa who is dependent on my visa in KSA. I am presently working in KSA and my wife is in India and has received a job offer from KSA. My wife has re entry visa stamped which is valid until August this year. Kindly advice. Thanks, ...

Change from B2 visa to F1 visa then to J1 or H1 visa for residency [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guide me I m n US on B1/ B2 visa for USMLE xm.instaed of going back to india & coming again for hospital interview( more costly )... should I change visa status B2 to F1 ? Afterwords for MD medicine I hv to take J1 or H1 visa.. so how this B2 to F1 change will affect J1 or H1...

View more questions Search