Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Haywire99's Avatar
    Haywire99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 9, 2009, 03:55 PM
    OPT - H1B status change Form 843

    1. I worked for my current employer under OPT from MAY 2007 to OCT 2007. On OCT1st my H1B was approved. I didn't get it stamped until JAN 2008. Because my status changed in OCT 2007 I filed my 2007 taxes as a Resident (1040). I read a response to a similar question by Atlanta Tax Expert and came to know that I must have filed a 1040NR. Is this correct?

    2. During my OPT days with my employers they erroneously charged me Medicare and Social Security Taxes (between May 07 and Oct 07). I filed a Form 843 with the required documentation to get that back but they have responded saying that since they don't find a 1040 NR filing in 2007, they can't refund those taxes to me.

    I have tried asking my employer to return the money but I can't get through the wretched Human Resources and talk to someone who understands this.

    What should my next step be?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jul 10, 2009, 07:24 AM
    1) Yes, that is correct. On 31 Dec 07, you had NOT YET met the Substantial Presence Test, so you should have filed either Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ plus Form 8843 one last time.

    2) That is the typical IRS response when you file as a resident alien, then apply for the FICA tax refund.

    You first need to amend your 2007 tax return, attaching a properly-prepared Form 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843 to Form 1040X and specifically request that they reinstate your non-resident alien status for 2007.

    Once the amendment is processed, then you can re-submit Forms 843 and 8312 to request the refund of the FICA taxes.

    If you need professional help to do this, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Status on W2 Form [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Tax Advisors, I am new to United States and filed the taxes recently and realized that "Single" 0 is listed in my W4 form but I am married. The tax advisor suggested me that I could change it to "Married" and 0/1, then I will not be paying more tax.. I was reading through many forums to...

I would like to know my status of my w2 form? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the staus of my w2 form?

Fill W4 Form in OPT status [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I like this forum:) very much and so this is my first question... :confused: . I am on Optional practical training status and working . Can anybody please tell me how to fill "Personal Allowances worksheet" on W4 form?:confused: I mean I am confused what...

Form 8843: F1 status for 5+ yrs. [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently on F1 which was issued in Aug 2001. It has been five yrs. + since I came over for my graduate studies, and expect to continue on F1 for another 1yr. In Form 8843 Q.12 pertains to if I have been present for more than 5 calendar yrs on F1 status in the US. And, if Yes do provide...

Dual status + 1 w2 form ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was on f1 from August 2001. I started working from January 2004 under OPT.I converted from f1 (OPT) to h1b in January 2005(on January 13th). I am single and from India. Since I pass the substantial presence test for 2005 and also I was on f1 at the starting of the year, I thought I shoudld...

View more questions Search