Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    krismede's Avatar
    krismede Posts: 9, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 26, 2011, 09:43 AM
    Nonresident Indian student, US India tax treaty exemption
    I am a indian student, working in a university. I got a letter from the IRS saying my federal income tax return is being examined and they say I cannot claim the tax treaty income as I received a W2 form and not 1042-S form.
    Do I have to pay them back now? Is there a way I can do something about it?
    Please help..
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 28, 2011, 04:39 PM
    HOW did you file, as a resident (Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ) or as a non-resident (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ)?

    I would need to see the letter to better evaluate your situation.

    If you need professional tax help with this, email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indian student tax exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone.. I am in difficult situation. Any help will be really appreciated. I started my H1 from Oct 1st 2009 and was on OPT before that. Does that mean that all my income before Oct1 is exempt from tax under India-US tax treaty? How do I file my taxes this year. Also, is it that under...

Russian F-1 Student. Federal Tax Exemption based on the US-Russia Tax Treaty? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a Russian graduate student who was in US on an F-1 visa since 2005. In 2005 I had a fellowship, later in 2006 I became a Graduate Student Researcher (research assistant). That paid my tuition and a monthly stipend. SHORT VERSION: For years 2006, 2007 I claimed full refund of...

F1 Student on OPT (US-India treaty) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I am on F1 student Visa, and have been working on my OPT after my masters degree. I read that the tax treaty between US and India claims that I can file for exemptions just like a US citizen on the income earned from a local agency in US. But I have read that while filing 1040NR-EZ...

India tax treaty exemption on California state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was a full time employee from working on OPT from 01/01/07 to 09/30/07 and then was on H1-B status from 10/01/07 to 12/31/07. I am filing my 1040 nr for federal and would like to know answers to following questions: 1. what is the india tax treaty exemption for 2007 2. Is the standard...

Massachusets - India- US Treaty exemption [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India and in USA with J1 Visa(Training). I have received my W2 Form and completed my 1040-NR-EZ for federal return with Exemption deduction($3400) and Standard deduction($5350) as per India-US Treaty. Since, I am in MA I have state tax withheld in my W2 Form. Could I deduct this...

View more questions Search