Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    nimmane's Avatar
    nimmane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 21, 2011, 11:03 AM
    Nonresident alien and spouse resident alien Married filing jointly
    I'm on F1 visa (non-resident alien) and my spouse is on H-1B visa (resident alien). We are looking at filing our taxes as Married filing jointly. My social security and medicare taxes were withheld. 1)Can I file for the refund of social security taxes withheld erroneously? Would I be treated as a non-resident for the exemption of FICA taxes? 2)Is the process for refund the same, i.e. filling form 843 ?
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Feb 21, 2011, 12:43 PM

    You can file joint return as residents. If you file joint return, you will not get FICA taxes back.

    Or your spouse files as married filing separately and you file nonresident tax return. Then you can file Form 843 to get back FICA taxes. Your U.S. Tax Return: Social Security and Medicare (FICA) Taxes for Non-resident Exempt Individual
    yobujji's Avatar
    yobujji Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 27, 2011, 03:20 PM
    @MukatA, I would like your opinion on this particulat FICA issue. The following IRS link says that Nnon-resident spouse can file jointly with RA and still be exempted from FICA taxes., id=96370,00.html

    "If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen or a resident alien and the other spouse is a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat the nonresident spouse as a U.S. resident. This includes situations in which one spouse is a nonresident alien at the beginning of the tax year, but a resident alien at the end of the year, and the other spouse is a nonresident alien at the end of the year.

    If you make this choice, you and your spouse are treated as residents for your entire tax year for the purpose of your federal individual income tax return, and for the purpose of withholding U.S. federal income tax from your wages. However, for the purpose of Chapter 3 withholding you may still be treated as a nonresident alien. Refer to Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Corporations (Chapter 3 of the Internal Revenue Code) in Tax Withholding Types. In addition, you may still be treated as a nonresident alien for the purpose of withholding Social Security and Medicare tax. Refer to Aliens Employed in the U.S. – Social Security Taxes"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I Jointly file tax return with spouse (resident alien & non resident alien) [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B worked in two different states in 2008 01Jan08 - 25Feb08 - Texas 05May08 - 13Aug08 - Texas 14Aug08 - 31Dec08- Illinois Note: march-April in India Spouse moved to US on 24 Oct 2008 in H1B got SSN in nov and doesn't have W2 for 2008 1. As per substantial presence test myself...

F-1 (Resident Alien) filing jointly BUT F-1 spouse has no SSN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, 2008 is my 6th year in U.S, hence I am currently filing as a Resident Alien for tax purposes. My spouse has been with me in U.S since Mar 2008 as a F-1 student. I hope to file 1040-EZ or 1040 jointly with her to enjoy higher exemptions. I have a SSN, but my wife doesn't. Now, as I am...

Federal tax Resident alien Spouse works out of US File married jointly [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question for 2008 tax. I am a resident alien for tax purpose from 2006. My husband works out of US (he got the SSN when he stayed as F-1 in US) and has no US income. I wonder if I can file as status married jointly? I understand that I need to claim his worldwide income. Since his...

(resident + non-resident alien) married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on F1 (non-resident alien) and spouse is resident alien. First time, we are making election to be treated as resident for tax year 2007. 1) do I need to pay back FICA (social secuity & medicare taxes) that were not withheld on my summer income in 2007? 2) since we need to attach a...

Resident alien married to Nonresident alien- 1040 details [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a straightforward question: I am a resident alien who is married to a nonresident alien. We have one child who is my dependent. I will be filing as head of household and will claim an exemption for my wife (she does not work) and for my child. Do I still need to write my wife's...

View more questions Search