Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ANambiar's Avatar
    ANambiar Posts: 5, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 27, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Non-Resident Status 2006 Clarification
    Hi, I was going through some of the questions that were answered using the same topic, but was not sure if I got the answer which would help me out, so here goes..

    I'm an Indian, single, working in India, who landed in the U.S. for the first time on July 8th 2006, on an L1 Visa, which was issued on May 1st 2006. I've been here in the U.S. for the entire year, and my company had suggested me to re-file the W-4 Form as a Non-Resident Alien (As I would not satisfy the Substantial-test condition of > 183 days) for 2006.

    Could you please let me know if I happen to fall as a Non-Resident alien, or as a Resident Alien, and if so, then what are the forms that I would need to file for tax returns.

    Also my bank has sent me a W-9 form for me to fill, but if I am a non-resident alien for the year 2006, I would have to file a W-8 form instead. Wanted to confirm on this as well.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 27, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Your company is correct. You are still a non-resident alien as you did NOT satisfy the Substantial Presence Test on 31 Dec 06.

    No need to file a W-4; that is only a guide for your company to withhold income taxes.

    As a NRA, you should file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

    W-8 is the correct form for the bank.
    ANambiar's Avatar
    ANambiar Posts: 5, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 27, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Thank You for a very Quick reply!

    Just to confirm that because of the same I would be eligible for the entire Federal Tax refund for the year 2006.

    Also I would like to know if it's a good idea to continue having my Federal Allowance number provided as 1 for the year 2007. Thanks once again!
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 27, 2007, 10:08 PM
    Claiming 1 on your W-4 is fine.

    As a non-resident alien, you STILL have to pay income tax on U.S.-sourced income, so, no, you will NOT get all of your withheld taxes back as a refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident or Non-resident Alien for tax year 2006? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 20th January 2006 and am on the payroll of my company since July 2006 , for the purpose of filling Tax returns for the year 2006 , am I a resident Alien or a non-resident alien?

Dual status resident or resident? [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure whether I am a dual status resident despite reading the IRS website. Background: I arrived on September 17, 2005 in the USA, started working on September 19, 2005. I filled as nonresident (1040NR I believe) in 2005. I spent a week vacation in February 2006 in my homecountry. I...

Spouse Resident Status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a Mexican Citizen currently on OPT, changing status to H1B in October. A while ago you advised me to file as a married resident, so I could be able to take the standard decuction, and my child deduction. I have a couple of questions: 1) I know I can file as resident, since I'll be working...

Status as resident / non - resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Need some advise on the taxes - I had moved to NY in November 2005 with my wife. We had a baby in December 2005. I need to know my status as to whether I would need to file my return as Resident Alien or Non-Resident Alien. Also I want to know that since I received my SSN in January...

J1 visa resident status [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Turkish citizen working for an American hotel under a J1 visa. I have been in the US since April 2003, and am now trying to file my taxes for 2004. I am confused by the "exemption" portion of the Substantial Presence Test- if I have a J1, am I considered exempt? I am working as an intern at...

View more questions Search