Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    summersky's Avatar
    summersky Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 26, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse

    I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes

    1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one?

    2) Once I have the ITIN, can we e-file using software like Turbo-tax?

    3) What are our alternatives to filing jointly? I'm not sure what the options are as a non-resident with no income in the US, or what would be best.

    Thanks for the site!
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 26, 2007, 09:56 AM
    1) You must download Form W-7 from Internal Revenue Service, fill it out, sign it, staple a notarized copy of your passport to the W-7, then paperclip both of these documents to your joint tax return, which must be mailed to the address in the W-7 instructions. Your name should be under your spouse's name, with the SSN area left BLANK!

    The IRS will review the documents, issue the ITIN, insert the ITIN in the blank SSN area, then process the return. They will send you the ITIN under separate correspondence. This process normally takes 4-6 weeks.

    2) You cannot efile this year. Issuance of the ITIN must be handled through regular mail.

    3) You have no alternatives. If your husband file separately (not a wise move as that cuts your exemptions and standard deduction in half), he STILL needs you to have an ITIN because he must provide your name and ITIN on his Married Filing Separately tax return.

    BOTTOM LINE: Complete the W-7 and file jointly. With luck, you will get your refund in late February/early March.
    summersky's Avatar
    summersky Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 26, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert! I really appreciate it! :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 26, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Glad to help!

    If you need professional help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ. Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original...

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

Filing return for ITIN, ID Card requirements [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to US in Apr-2006, couple of months back. I am on H1B I have a SSN no, and I have not filled my tax returns anytime. I am located in AZ, USA. My spouse is on H4. We don't have any children. I have few questions regarding getting her ITIN: 1. Its still time to file my...

Filing jointly or separtely [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 and came to US in Jan 2005. My wife came to US in April 2005 on H4. She changed her status to F1 in Aug 2005. She doesn't have an income in year 2005 and she has started getting scholarship starting Feb 2006. We paid $4000 as her 2005 tution fees. As I am a resident alien, I can...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search