Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    slotpilot's Avatar
    slotpilot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 23, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Non-resident Georgia taxes, working within Georgia
    I have been working in Georgia, for a Georgia based company, for the past 22 years while living in Florida. I have had Georgia tax taken out of my salary all this time. I have filed Georgia Income Tax and filled out the schedule for "Non-residents" every year. It indicates that I must pay the tax to Georgia for the income I make within the state of Georgia.

    Two Florida residents I know, who also make income on Georgia soil but by a company based in Florida, are telling me that H&R and Jackson Hewitt are telling them that they are not required to pay Georgia Tax on their income.

    So, am I or am I not liable for Georgia Income Tax? If not, how do I claim my back taxes and for how many years?

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 24, 2008, 08:56 AM

    WHERE do you perform the work, in Florida or in Georgia.

    It is actually rather simple.

    If the work is performed in Georgia, then Georgia state income taxes ARE due.

    If the work is performed in Florida, then Georgia state income taxes ARE NOT due.
    nodeedabop's Avatar
    nodeedabop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 21, 2009, 03:48 AM
    There is much confusion surrounding your situation, my wife was a Florida resident, employed by a GA company and we paid full year taxes for many years, the IRS audited 3 years of our returns and determined that our tax home is Florida, this is most important, there is a formula for determining if you owe GA taxes but most people will not have to pay, do you get paid hourly, salary, have to fill out time sheets, punch a time clock? This would be helpful to know, unfortunately GA only lets you go back 3 years to recover taxes paid in error, in our case we are suing our CPA for malpracice and it appears we are going to win and get all of the taxes back with interest
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Aug 21, 2009, 04:16 AM

    If you spouse was not present in GA to work, her wages are not subject to GA taxes even when it is paid by the GA employer.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Define full-time resident for Georgia. [ 3 Answers ]

How does the Georgia tax code define a full-time resident? I am a travel R.N. and spent a majority of my time outside of Georgia. Do I have to pay state income taxes for Georgia? THANKS for any input! David

State of Georgia Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I owe about $3,300 for unpaid state taxes in Georgia and I tried to make payment arrangements to have money taken out of my payroll check to repay and was told when I called that they could not make arrangements with me and that I needed to pay the full amount. I don't have it to pay and just...

Non resident tax refund from Georgia (atlanta) [ 1 Answers ]

I lived and worked in minnesota for complete 2006 fiscal year. But my employer is based out of Georgia. So he has withheld my georgia state tax for the year 2006. But in total I am 100% non resident of georgia. Never visited or worked in Georgia. I have already filed my tax for the fiscal year...

Full-Time Resident of Georgia? [ 1 Answers ]

Forgot to mention this before I sent out my email concerning residency. We moved to TN in May,2006 but did not sell our house in Georgia until September 2006. My son is a full-time student in Georgia and resides there, but is still listed as a dependent on our taxes (he does not work). How do we...

Non Resident tax refund for Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

I am residing in Minnesota.. never worked or went to state of Georgia.n total I am 100% non resident for the state of Georgia. But my employer for whom I work is in georgie.He has paid all my state tax to Georgia. But I came to know that even if my employer is from Georgia, I can ask for the...

View more questions Search