Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Lawnmasters512's Avatar
    Lawnmasters512 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 22, 2010, 06:23 PM
    Non custodial parent claiming child on taxes
    Hi, I'm a non-custodial parent and when the divorce decree was finalized, there is no mention at all in it that states who can claim, apparently it was left out. I make my payments through the child suport center, never missed a payment in 10 years. My ex also makes double what I make and I do get my children every other weekend and a couple of weeks during the summer, on holidays. I have bills just like her and provide for my children's health care, she takes care of dental. My question is what can happen if I claim first, Thanks Jeff
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Feb 22, 2010, 06:27 PM

    Without court permission to claim, the custodial parent generally is allowed to claim the exemption.

    You can try going back to the court for a modification.
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,132, Reputation: 1307

    Feb 23, 2010, 01:18 PM

    To add to what ScottGem said - without a court decree the only other option is to have the custodial parent sign a form giving you the right to claim the child - you have her sign form 8332 and you attach it to your return. Without that form - if you claim the child as our dependent and she also claims that same child, as her dependent the IRS will investigate to determine which of you is trying to commit fraud. The custodial parent will ALWAYS win that battle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial parent gave child to Non Custodial Parent now wants him back? [ 2 Answers ]

My husbands ex called us back in October and said that she could no longer handle their son (he is 7) and she was afraid she would "snap" one day and hurt him so we moved him in with us. My step son calls his mom on a daily basis he is doing better in school, and as a family have started...

Claiming your kids on taxes when custodial parent doesn't even work [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend pays quite a bit in child support. His ex-wife with his 2 kids and her new child and new husband recently re-located to the LA area from Texas. The ex-wife doesn't work and yet her new husband claims my boyfriend's kids on his taxes. It doesn't seem fair that another man is...

Custodial parent claiming child as a dependent. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice give. My wife has four children from a previous marriage. She has custodial rights for all four and her ex pays child support on all four. For the past few years two children have been living with him by their choice and we have been reimbursing...

Non-custodial parent claimed child on his taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I just found out that my child's father claimed my 4 month old son on his taxes! Before I did I am so pissed and I want to know if there is something I ca do about this? And the sad thing is he does not support or see him at all.

Can the non-custodial parent claim the child on their taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 yrs old and her father has not done anything for her. Now out the blue, he wants to be in her life. We have a temperary child support established ( as of today). He wants to claim her on his taxes next year. Can he do this being that he is the non-custodial parent and has never...

View more questions Search