Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Insan01's Avatar
    Insan01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 7, 2020, 10:16 AM
    Moved from UK to US
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this forum so firstly hello from me.
    I moved from UK to US on L1A visa (Austin, Texas) on the 1st of April (275 days in 2019) and have spent 225 days in US with 50 days back in the UK. I got my SS card on the 20th April with first pay date on the 5th of May.
    I have my family still in the UK with 3 dependent children + a foster Child.
    My question is what status do I file my tax return under, can I opt for joint status as my wife doesn't work in the UK but she does get fostering allowance.
    I also received a move to US allowance which was paid out in the US (is that a deductible expense?
    I am renting a room at the moment in a house and pay all inclusive rent per month.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated and happy to clarify any further questions.
    Many Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 7, 2020, 12:57 PM
    You can file jointly with your wife, because her physical presence is NOT required to file a joint return. She just has to SIGN the actual return.

    Unfortunately, you CANNOT claim any of the children, because they MUST be physically present in the United States.

    She will need to submit Form W-7 to apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), a process I can help you with.

    Note that if you file jointly, ALL world-wide taxable income for both you and your wife must be declared on the return.

    Your wife's income can be excluded using Form 1116.

    You can claim a tax credit for UK taxes paid in 2019 using Form 1116.

    If you want my professional help, please contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I moved from NY to NJ [ 3 Answers ]

I am no longer a resident of NJ, so do I file a non-resident tax form for NY? Also, does it matter when exactly I moved for tax calculation purposes-like is the income supposed to be allocated to both states separately? P.S. Just to clarify I still work in NY, so from what I have read-->All...

Not moved in yet. [ 4 Answers ]

I have put a deposit down on a apartment in Feb. This apartment is not to be available until May 2011. There was never a lease signed or anything but was told that we do not give refund. If there is no lease signed and they have enough time to rent the apartment out, could they keep my money?

I just moved into an apartment in the carpet wasn't cleaned before I moved in [ 4 Answers ]

My landlord said she is only cleaning the three room not four because of the special deal she got from the carpet cleaning company three room special can she do that am I responsiable for the other room

He moved away [ 8 Answers ]

I was wiv me ex for a few months before he broke us up. But afterwards we kept seeing each other and I feel for him. But he then told me he had to move away for work which really hurt me. I saw him before he went, and it was really nice but I just didn't want to say goodbye. And then he went and I...

If a person on parole moved to my address then moved out doesn't the PO have to verify [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know if my address is still being used and why this hasn't been verified by the PO its been a month

View more questions Search