Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    rudravas's Avatar
    rudravas Posts: 9, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 15, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Me on H1B,Wife on H4 visa.How to file ITIN for her.
    Really appreciate your effort for answering this question.
    I have come to USA on 20 June,2007 in H1B visa. My wife is in H4 dependent visa. I have to file my tax returns.
    1)Can I file jointly under "Married Filing jointly" option ?
    2) If yes, does my wife need to have ITIN ?
    3) How can she apply for her ITIN and what docs would be needed for that.
    4) How much benefit can I get ,if I file jointly ?

    I really thank you for answering my question.It will be of great help to me.

    Yours Faithfully,
    Visa Taxes Expert's Avatar
    Visa Taxes Expert Posts: 40, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member

    Jan 15, 2008, 02:26 PM

    Since you qualify based on the substantial presence test, you are considered a Resident Alien for Tax purposes.

    1. You can file Form 1040 , and yes you can file Married Filing Jointly

    2. Yes, She needs to have an ITIN to do a Joint filing.

    3. You can file Form W-7, to apply for ITIN, and it needs to be sent, only with your other
    Tax documents.

    Please feel free to contact us for your Tax Preparation Service.
    rudravas's Avatar
    rudravas Posts: 9, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Really want to thank for this prompt response. I just want to know that

    1) to apply for ITIN for my wife, I need to have the W-7 form .Can you please let me know what other tax documents do I need ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 15, 2008, 09:45 PM
    Well, let's see.

    You will need Form 1040 and, since you probably have moving expenses, Form 3903, plus the W-7.

    With the W-7, you will need to send a notarized photocopy of her passport. The notarization can be done at most local banks.

    Plus, of course, you will probably need to file a STATE tax return.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jan 16, 2008, 02:36 AM
    Your return as residents Married Filing Jointly must include a statement of first year choice.
    Then you must report your worldwide income for 2007, which includes income from Jan 2007. On foreign income, you may foreign tax credit if you paid taxes in the foreign country. You will file Form 2555 or 1116 or both.
    You may need some professional service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 Visa - working - ITIN - Should file taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine from South Korea just started working full-time in the U.S. The employer told him that he will get a 1099 at the end of the year. He is on F-1 visa - without a social security number. He is not authorized to work in the U.S. My understanding is that you cannot issue a 1099 to...

Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06. My questions are 1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about ...

I was on L1 visa want to file joint return. I want to apply for ITIN for spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I was in US(california) from march 2006 - jan 2007 on L1. My wife and kid were on L2. They don't have SSN (I think now its possible to get ssn on L2 ). Now I am back in India and want to file my return with both of them as my dependent. So I think I will have to file W7 for both of them to get...

ITIN for my Dependent Wife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US for the first time on Auguest 28th 2006. I am on L1 visa and I have my wife and Child along with me. For IRS tax filing for 2006 , what is my status --Resideint Alien or Non Resident Alien ? Do we (me and wife) need to file Jointly? If yes while filing online , its...

About ITIN number for my wife [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My case: I'm on H1 since 2004. Got married in Nov2006. Came with wife to US in Dec2006. Wife on H4 Have to file taxes. How to apply for ITIN? Went to HRBlock they said go to IRS office to apply for her ITIN. What is the procedure? Thanks for help.

View more questions Search