Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    joshikaks's Avatar
    joshikaks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 22, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Married student from India, on OPT, cannot claim student loan on 1040NR. Help?
    I am married & was on OPT till sep 09 & from Oct 1 H1B. I don't pass substaitial presence test. Since I am from India, I can claim personal exemption for my spouse as well as standard deduction. But I was not give student loan deduction. IRS said that my status is married filing separately, where as there is no such option of married filing jointly or separately in 1040NR. Help.. How can I claim student loan deduction also?
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Mar 22, 2010, 08:20 PM

    Choice 1: You can file non-resident tax return and Form 8843. If you did not complete 5 years on F-1, you can not file as married filing separately.

    Choice 2: You can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly. You will have to wait for 5 months to file your tax return till you meet the Substantial Presence Test (of 183 days) in 2010. Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test
    You will get standard deduction of $11,400 and exemptions ($3,650 each) for both of you.
    You must both declare your worldwide income for 2009. If you have any foreign income, and on that income you paid taxes in the foreign country, then you can claim foreign tax credit (Form 1116) or you can use Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555). Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

    You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouseand attach with your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 Student on OPT (US-India treaty) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I am on F1 student Visa, and have been working on my OPT after my masters degree. I read that the tax treaty between US and India claims that I can file for exemptions just like a US citizen on the income earned from a local agency in US. But I have read that while filing 1040NR-EZ...

Student on OPT can deduct India Loan? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, Here are my questions... While students working on OPT and transferring to H1B status. 1) Is there a chance of showing any relocation expenses? 2) Can a loan taken in India for Master's degree(USA) can be shown as deductible?

Indian - OPT - State change - Student loan Claim [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, To any one answering these 3 question, I would appreciate it as it is of immense significance to me, I am late filing Taxes for 2006. Thank you :) Questions for 2006 TAX return F1 - 12/20/03 - 1/15/07 OPT - 1/15/06 - 1/15/07 - total W2 income $ 11600 (only income in 2006) Q1) I...

Student loan interest deduction in 1040NR [ 3 Answers ]

I was on F-1 from August 2004 to September 30th 2006. I was on H1B form October 1 2006 to December 31st 2006. While filing 1040NR, can I claim student loan interest deduction? CINTAX says I cannot since I was not a student on 31st December 2006. Please advice... I would like to mail in...

F1-H1B- Student Loan deduction in 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F-1 Visa until September 30th 2006 and converted to H-1B on October 1st 2006. I am using CINTAX to file my reutns and it determined that my tax filing status is non-resident alien and it filled out form 1040NR for me. However, it did not prompt me to enter the student loan interest...

View more questions Search