Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    fatimahn's Avatar
    fatimahn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 18, 2008, 04:08 PM
    L1 visa - tax issue
    We have employee who is on L-1 visa and his stayed at U.S is going to be more then 6 months. When an Employee is visiting our US office on L-1 while staying on Foreign Payroll, we usually give them a monthly "Per Diem" for their expenses here while in US (food, lodging, transportation, etc.), which in our accounting records shows as "Travel Expense" this is not Taxed to the employee (if they are to receive 3500/month, then they get exactly $3500/month). However, I do understand that when an employee is here at U.S for more then six months, by law they are require to pay taxes. If this is true, please advice what are the taxes that they are responsible for and how to have it file?


    >Moved from Forum Help<
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    May 2, 2008, 10:51 AM

    They are liable for the full range of taxes:

    Social Security at 6.2%
    Meidcare at 1.45%
    Federal income taxes
    State income taxes

    Also, the per diem is ALSO taxable income in my opinion, because you are reimbursing them under a non-accountable plan. In other words, they do NOT have to submit a monthly expense report to get reimbursed. They get the same amount of money each month regardless of their actual expenses. That makes the per diem taxable income.

    The employee can and should deduct their daly living expenses using Form 2106 and the Schedule A of either the Form 1040NR or 1040, whichever they qualify to file. This will, for the most part, offset the added tax load for taxing the per diem. BTW, the per diem is only taxed for INCOME taxes; it is NOT taxed for Social Security or Medicare taxes.

    The ability to deduct their daily living expenses is allowed for up to ONE YEAR. Once they exceed the one year time in country, then they CANNOT deduct their daily living expenses.

    Now, if they ARE submitting an expense report, then you are reimbursing them under an ACCOUNTABLE plan. In that case, the reimbursements are NOT taxable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

URGENT - h4 visa to f1 visa and OPT gap issue [ 0 Answers ]

I am currently in New York on an H4 visa. I have just been admitted to XXXX Univ for my MBA which starts in may 2008.I want to pursue the MBA on an F1 visa for which I have not yet applied, but will be doing so by the ed of march 2008 .Is it too late to apply for the visa change if there is only 2...

L1 Visa and L2 Visa Filing tax for Year 2007. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L1 Visa in US since May 2007. My Wife (non working ) is on L2 Visa since Oct 2007. 1. I have recevied my W2 Form from my employer. When I am filing tax Which form should I fill 1040 ? Or 1040 EZ? 2. My wife doesn't have SSN. Is she eligible for SSN ? 3. Should I Apply ITIN or SSN...

Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose [ 2 Answers ]

HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax: 1. I'm an F-1 visa holder 2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008 3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship 4. I'm a resident alien for...

H1B visa - tax issue [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All Is it if you are on H1b visa, you have to pay tax even though you don't have any job. Guide Rgds AJ

F-1 visa (OPT) to H-1b visa: how to file tax [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, My status in US has been changed from F-1 visa(OPT) to H-1b visa during 2006. I received approval for my H1b visa in October. And I worked for the same company throughout 2006. I filed 2005 tax with 1040NR. But I don't know which form I should use for 2006. Someone please help me!

View more questions Search