Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    nshafi's Avatar
    nshafi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 30, 2008, 01:53 PM
    J1 visa tax for a Canadian student interning in US

    I worked in the US from April 30- August 27, 2007. From Jan - April 2007 and Sept - Dec 2007 I was studying at a university in Canada (I am a Canadian citizen). I have never worked in the US before. The company I worked for withheld state and federal taxes.

    How do the taxes work for my case? Do I file taxes to both Canada and US? Will I receive a refund from the US? Am I an exempt individual? Where and how do I claim my tuition?

    Thanks again
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 30, 2008, 04:06 PM
    You need to file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ for the U.S. taxes.

    I do not know about Canada.

    You may be eligible to exempt up to $10,000 of the money earned in the U.S. I cannot say for sure without more details.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations for Canadian Student Loan [ 4 Answers ]

What os the statute of limitations for a canadian student loan which is both provincial and federal? If it is a certain time frame how does it affect my credit history afterwards? Thanks

F1 visa student - self employment- 1099 tax form [ 13 Answers ]

I am a phd international student in Houston Texas. I am a citizen of Tunisia. I joined the program in fall 2005 and I am on campus employee. I am starting my second year now. I am filling W2 form for tax. I have an opportunity to gain extra income as self employed or independent contractor from...

F1 student visa holder trying to avoid tax on relocation [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My company is willing to reimburse $1500 for relocation expenses. I have kept receipts of everything including gas, food etc etc but have not claimed these reimbursements yet. I am still working as an intern here in CA (CPT status) and I am a F1 student visa holder employed 1/2 time...

Working in PA on a H1B Visa. Canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I am currently working on an H1B Visa for a non-profit. I am a Canadian citizen and been working here since the start of Sept 2006. Which Non Resident form do I fill out for federal income taxes? Is it the 1040EZ? Also, must I fill out a (PA) state income tax form as well? As a H1B...

Canadian with J1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Canadian, and I possess a J1 Visa which indicates that I am a trainee. I am doing my internship for a private company in USA for four months. I have the following tax questions. Please help. I am very confused by US's complex tax system. 1. What form do I file the tax with? (I...

View more questions Search