Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    buj's Avatar
    buj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 13, 2007, 08:16 AM
    J1 visa New York State tax forms

    I moved from India to NY state in Feb 2006 on a J1 temporary non immigrant visa. I filed 1040EZ for the federal returns (I was an F1 student from Aug 2000 to Oct 2005). My question is

    1) Am in a non-resident or part year resident for NY state for the year 2006? As far as I understand, I am not domiciled in NY (my permanent home is my parents house in India), but I have leased an apartment building which is part of the university provided housing in New York city.
    2) What are the forms I need to fill for filing my state returns?
    3) Depending on my filing status, do I owe city taxes as well?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,774, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 16, 2007, 11:42 AM
    1) Since you are a student, you are considered a non-resident for tax purposes.

    2) Form IT-203.

    3) Not sure, but I do not think you are considered a city resident because of your student status. Call the city tax department to be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file New York State Tax Return as Non Resident ? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for some advice about my state tax return. Thank you in advance for whoever can provide some guidance. I'm a french citizen and arrived in New York under a J-1 visa in July 2004. I filed as non resident for my 2004 tax return. In October 2005, I obtained the H1-B status....

New York City Tax for E2 visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am a foreigner with E1 visa residing in Queens, NY since April 2006. I am currently working in Manhatan. Do I have to pay the full New York City Tax? Thank you very much.

New York city tax refund for H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in New York city for 2 and half years and am currently holding an H1B visa. I filed my last 2 tax returns as a non resident for New York, and was able to get a full refund of my New York city tax. My question is I'm not sure if I can still file as non resident and get...

Pay no New York state tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I landed US Aug, 1998. I began to work since 2001. I'm still holding F-1 visa, am I considered as nonresident alien? When filing federal tax, can I use 1040NR? I have a copy of IT203 for 2004 New York state tax, which was prepared by turbo tax software. The software put $0 on all New York...

State tax forms [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I am indian and for 2005 I was working as CPT/OPT. I was working in saint paul , Minnesota about 10 months & 10 days. Overall $3100 state tax was cut for Minnesota. Some other tax was cut for NJ that was $250 (Since my company is NJ). Whether I need to file any forms in NJ? What are the...

View more questions Search