Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    taxmd's Avatar
    taxmd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 17, 2008, 05:53 PM
    ITIN and Tution & Fee Deduction

    I am student on F1 visa. I qualify as a resident for federal tax purposes (I have spent 6 years in US on the F1 visa). I got married last year and I need to apply for an ITIN number for my wife. I have two questions :

    1) I understand that I need to fill in W-7 and send it with 1040 and other related federal tax return forms with appropriate notarized documents as mentioned in W-7. I read that the ITIN is issued 4 to 6 weeks after the documents are received. My question is : If I take the documents requisite to apply for an ITIN directly to a local IRS office, can I be issued an ITIN instantly ? Will the process be any quicker (than 4 weeks) if I take the documents to a local IRS office rather than sending them to Texas ?

    2) My Graduate Assistantship pays my tution fees. But in my graduate school, I need to pay a fee called "Mandatory Fee" that is not covered by my assistantship. This fee is levied every semester. I have paid about $620 towards "Mandatory Fee" last year. Can I write off $620 under the "Tution and Fee Deduction" section of Form 1040 ? I will send them Form 8917 if I can deduct the mandatory fee that I have been paying.

    Please let me know.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
    1) Yes, that IS possible, but call ahead FIRST to make sure they offer that service. It is MUCH faster.

    2) Maybe, if the fee is listed on the Form 1098-T that you should be getting. Ask your university registrar if this fee is eligble to be claimed against the tuition credit.
    taxmd's Avatar
    taxmd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 17, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Thanks for your quick response.

    I did try to access my 1098-T form from my graduate school. I got a response saying that there was no such form against my name - may be because my assistantship had always covered my semester fees.

    I'll check with my registrar. Thank you.
    taxmd's Avatar
    taxmd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 18, 2008, 04:50 AM
    I found this example listed at IRS's site on "Tuition and Fee Deduction". It looks like I can write away the mandatory fee that I had mentioned in my previous post.

    Example 3.

    When Marci enrolled at College X for her freshman year, she had to pay a separate student activity fee in addition to her tuition. This activity fee is required of all students, and is used solely to fund on-campus organizations and activities run by students, such as the student newspaper and the student government. No portion of the fee covers personal expenses. Although labeled as a student activity fee, the fee is required for Marci's enrollment and attendance at College X. Therefore, it is a qualified expense.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 18, 2008, 12:44 PM
    That may be a correct interpretation.

    However, the IRS keys on the Form 1098-T. While they recognize that colleges will make mistakes on such issues, if the fee is not listed on the 1098-T and you claim it anyway, you stand a good chance of it being challenged by the IRS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Online tution [ 2 Answers ]

Any institutions that will offer online tutions on bharatnatyam?

Claim tution fee [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , this is mani, and I am a new member of this group. I filed my tax for the year 2006 using 1040nr-ez and got the tax refund, thinking that since I am from india(non-resident) I should file this form. I am in F1(student) status . But I am not able to claim my tution fee in 1040nr-ez form,...

F1 to H1 and Tution Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a NR for tax purposes (1040NR or NR EZ), so can I claim credit for tution fees that I paid in 2005? Thanks.

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search