Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    vanillacreme's Avatar
    vanillacreme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 16, 2008, 09:55 PM
    International Student who filed 1040A using I need to amend?

    I'm an international student studying in the US and for the past 2 years, I filed the 1040NR EZ tax form on my own. This year, I thought I was doing something wrong since the figures didn't look right, so I went and did my taxes through Turbo Tax. I didn't realize until after I sent the forms that they were 1040A. Do I need to amend this with the 1040X with the proper 1040NR EZ forms right away? Or should I wait until the IRS tells me I did something wrong? Also, is the only deduction for international students $3400? I thought I was doing something wrong since I kept coming up with an owing balance of around $400 in federal taxes, but my gross income after the deduction was about $4000. Does the tax amount I owe sound correct? Also, it looks like my employer did not take any taxes out of my paychecks during the 2007 year. I'm really confused.

    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Apr 16, 2008, 10:16 PM
    1. On F1 you are exempt from residency for 5-years. You must file nonresident tax return. You you will need to file amended tax return Form 1040X, with properly done nonresident tax return form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. On F1 you will get exemption of $3,400 and deduction as per tax treaty and itemized deductions.

    It is better to file amended tax return as early as possible as you may owe tax and on the tax you will have to pay interest and penalty.

    Also check if you received W2 or 1099-Misc, since your employer did not hold taxes. If you received 1099-Misc, then it is reported on schedule C (Form 1040).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 student filing 1040A, got 100% tax return. Did I cheat? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'm an international student on F-1 Visa. For the year 2003-2004, I worked on campus, and filed form 1040NR-EZ and only partial refund of tax withheld. For the year 2004-2005, I went on and filed 1040A, and was able to get a 100% refund. This year, I do not know which form to...

Wrong Tax form filed by f-1 student. Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a dilemma and I will really appreciate your help. I am a student/f-1 visa holder (non-resident alien). Last week I used an online website (File my taxes for FREE! with FreeTaxUSA) to file tax returns and realized that the website used Form 1040, and PA-40 - 2007 (for...

Filed 1040A instead of 1040NR [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am software professional, I filed taxes with form 1040A couple of day's back but now I hear that I should have filed 1040 NR since I am out of US since April 30 2007. What should I do ? Thanks Mr_cool_guy

Can I amend 2004 return using turbotax 2006 software [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to amend my 2004 return. I do not have 2004 turbotax software. Can I use turbotax 2006 software.

Taxact, f1 student, amend [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I came to US in Aug 2005. I'm still in F1 status. I don't know much about taxes and I used taxact to file my returns last year and this year. Now after being somewhat enlightened after coming to this site, I'm really concerned. Obviously, I have not been filing correct. So I just want...

View more questions Search