Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    himesha20's Avatar
    himesha20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 29, 2008, 06:10 PM
    India tax treaty exemption on California state tax

    I was a full time employee from working on OPT from 01/01/07 to 09/30/07 and then was on H1-B status from 10/01/07 to 12/31/07. I am filing my 1040 nr for federal and would like to know answers to following questions:
    1. what is the india tax treaty exemption for 2007
    2. Is the standard deduction for non-resident $5350 for 2007.
    3. I was working in California for this entire period so should I file form 540 as a resident or non-resident and if I can claim india tax treaty exemption on my state tax.

    I would really appreciate if you can help me out.

    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Mar 29, 2008, 08:53 PM
    On the federal tax return you will get treaty deduction for income during OPT.

    For CA, you are resident for whole year 2007. You don't get treaty benefit on state return.
    For nonresident tax filing read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US-India treaty benefits in MA state tax? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi A.T.E, Thanks for your advice and time. Let me keep it as straight as possible: 1. Can I claim US-India treaty benefits while filing state taxes in Mass. 2. Can I claim my brother as dependent if I am paying his tuition fee for undergrad education in US? If yes, where do I reflect it in...

Tax treaty exemption [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently on a tax treaty exemption Belgium/USA and on a J-1 visa. The time for the tax exemption is 2 years. What I want to know is, if I decide to stay on for another year following the two years, will I have to back-pay tax or will I just have to pay the tax on the third year?

Tax treaty exemption [ 2 Answers ]

I joined university as a reasearcher on H1B June 13, 2006. According to tax treaty, I am exempted from federal and state tax for 3 years (June 13, 2006-June, 2009). So I am a non-resident alien and should file form 1040NR, right? Many thanks.

How does the US/India tax treaty affect the state tax refund? [ 3 Answers ]

The people who make International Student Taxes have put a special resource page for Indians. International Student Taxes | Resources | Students from India I am stuck on a point in this page. To quote: "2. If you took the standard deduction last year, do not put anything on Line 4 of...

Document to File prooving exemption of NY State tax and the Federal tax: F1 Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi experts' Hi What should my employer file, to exempt me from Federal and state tax, I am in NY, and live in NYC, My Visa status is OPT... F1 JazZ

View more questions Search