Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    me_kalyan111's Avatar
    me_kalyan111 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 13, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Incorporated Vs 1099 Contractor

    I am trying to know the differences in tax that an individual would pay as an independent contractor vs being incorporated.

    I am on OPT now and would convert to H-1 in OCtober. I got an offer from a company and would like me to be incorporated. My total estimated income would be close to $60,000.

    What about the self-employment taxes?

    Would I save more on taxes being incorporated?

    I am fairly new to the world of contracting... Please help me out?

    What about the deductions in both cases?

    On a 1099 Misc would I be liable to pay federal, state, medicare and social security?

    Please Advice...

    Can I legally be incorporated as a non-resident? (Student on F-1 Status)

    Thanks in advance.

    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Mar 13, 2006, 09:36 PM
    You need to sit down with a tax attorney, Corporations are very good sp is you have a lot of personal assests you want to protect.

    Remember the money that your corporation takes in is mot your personal money, your coporation would have to then pay you. So you would be paying taxes for the profit that the corp earns and also taxes on the money that the corp pays you.

    Each state has its own incorporation laws and rules, and you don't even have to incorporate in the state you live in, as long as you have an agent in the state where you incorporate.

    A long visit to a tax attorney or an attorney that does incorporatoin is called for here
    me_kalyan111's Avatar
    me_kalyan111 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 14, 2006, 08:33 PM
    Thanks for the reply chuck. I would consult a professional on this. Thanks Once Again
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 14, 2006, 08:44 PM
    I agree with FR Chuck's presentation.

    I have nothing to add.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! I'm about to call a contractor! [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I have two Carrier AC units, one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. Last year, both units worked fine. Now, my upstairs unit is not working. The fan on both the inside and the outside is working, but it is not blowing cold air. My downstairs unit blows fine. Now, I know very...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

This might be a silly question but here goes, I am a middle aged man wanting to start a painting business, a career change if you will? But do I need some kind of contractors license to do this? I paint fantastic and pretty good in faux painting. How would I get by without getting sued for being a...

Sub-contractor liability [ 3 Answers ]

I am a resident of Michigan,and am a sub-contractor for a limo company. I am curious about a situation that happened to two other employees one was hit by a stolen car and was charged by our boss the deductible for the damage.the other guy hit a barrier and is being charged for all the repairs to...

View more questions Search