Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    achaturvedi's Avatar
    achaturvedi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 12, 2007, 12:44 AM
    Income is taxable or not
    The amount that we get as per diem allowance in us is non taxable in us, if this amount anyone takes back to india, is it taxable there or not.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Aug 13, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Per diem, by definition, is a set reimbursement amount for daily expenses.

    If you get per diem under an "accountable" plan (meaning that you submit an expense report and the expenses EXCEED the amount of per diem received), said per diem is NOT TAXABLE and does not have to be reported.

    However, if you get the per diem under a "non-accountable" plan (no expense report is required), then the per diem IS subject to U.S. and state income taxes. You CAN deduct the actual expenses incurred as an itemized employee business expense, but Alternative Minimum Tax will kick in after the expense hits a certain level.

    The U.S. is somewhat unique in this treatment of per diem. In most other countries, per diem is NOT taxable.

    I suspect that India has the same policy, but I am NOT sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxable income [ 4 Answers ]

Are employee cell phone reimbursements considered taxable income

Compute taxable income [ 2 Answers ]

Would like to know how to compute taxable income

Definition of taxable income [ 1 Answers ]

I was an international student and got an visa, H-1B, sponsorship from the firm. Of course my firm paid all fees that associated with visa filing. The problem is they put the fees on my W-2. As far as I understand, that's not taxalbe income to me. I need something concrete such as IRC or...

Compute taxable income [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, help me please Morgan and Maggie are married and have two dependent children. They also fully support Mary's mother who lives with them and has no income. Their 2006 tax and other related information is as follows: Total salaries $110,000...

Tax from taxable income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on F1 visa. Can anyone tell me what's the tax (line 15 in the 1040NR-EZ form) is my taxable income is $12875 (on line 14 in the 1040NR-EZ form). Second question is where do I need to file (i.e. send) the 1040NR-EZ form. Thanks a lot.

View more questions Search