Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    bjharrelson's Avatar
    bjharrelson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 3, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Illegally claiming dependents
    I just filed my 07 taxes and was notified that someone else had claimed one of my children. What should I do?:mad:
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 4, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Mail your return to the IRS with a cover letter to present your case that you are entitled to claim your child.

    The IRS will investigate and eventually give you the dependency exemption, then go back to the other person and deny them the exemption, asking for the back taxes, interest, a penalty and possibly a hefty fine.

    Any idea who claimed your child? Has to be someone who knows his SSN.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming non-custodial dependents on taxes [ 4 Answers ]

My 5 year old daughter and I live with my boyfriend and have so since June of last year. I have full custody of her and we have just had a baby 2 weeks ago. During my pregnancy last year there were a few months where I was unable to work and when I did finally find a suitable job for my condition I...

Claiming dependents in Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

What are the rules according to Georgia laws about claiming more that 1 dependent on your taxes? Is it true that there can only be no more than 2 dependents?

Claiming Dependents on Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

If I share joint custody of my daughter but I am her custodial parent, my ex husband payes $110.00 in child support weekly which also includes back support, 38% of childcare cost and 38% of any uncovered medical expenses then I am left with the balance. He has visitation rights on Wednesday's,...

Illegally in us [ 2 Answers ]

How can I report someone in the us illegally

Claiming Non-resident spouse & child as dependents [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife came to US (H4 visa) for the first time in 2006 & was in the US for 3 months. She left for India and we had a baby last month. She will be back In the US along with the child only in Feb 2007. 1) Can I file as "married filing jointly" and apply for ITIN for my wife when I...

View more questions Search