Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    hary9's Avatar
    hary9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 6, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ

    I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status?

    Thanks a lot in advance
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Apr 7, 2008, 01:59 AM
    Yes, if you qualify to file resident tax return, then you can file joint return as residents.
    hary9's Avatar
    hary9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 7, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Thank you very much for the quick response. I have been working in the US on an H1B visa since June, 2004 so I would qualify to file a resident tax return. Correct?

    Thanks again
    xdbworks's Avatar
    xdbworks Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 20, 2012, 08:45 PM
    If I file jointly, I do not see a place to claim the FICA exemptions. As a result, my refund decreases as the calculations do not account for my Spouse as F1 Visa and removes the SSN and Medicare Tax from my total refund. Has anybody come across this situation?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filed taxes using form 1040 on F1 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this forum and found it very useful. I was on F1 visa till 1 October, 2007 and I was on OPT from March till October 2007. Now from October, 2007 onwrds I am on H1B Visa. I still have to file my 2007 taxes, I have few quesries.. I really appreciate any help. My que are 1....

I am on H1 visa my wife on H4 visa. Which form to fill? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 visa and my wife is on H4 visa. I don't know which tax form to fill? Is it 1040NR EZ or 1040NR? Can I cliam tax exemption for my wife? Sathya

Me on H1B,Wife on H4 visa.How to file ITIN for her. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Really appreciate your effort for answering this question. I have come to USA on 20 June,2007 in H1B visa. My wife is in H4 dependent visa. I have to file my tax returns. 1)Can I file jointly under "Married Filing jointly" option ? 2) If yes, does my wife need to have ITIN ? 3)...

Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06. My questions are 1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about ...

H1B starting on 3/1/05, may I file form1040 jointly with noresident husband? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Chinese. My OPT ended in 2/28/05. My fisrt $5000 was tax free because of the treaty. However, my SS and medicare tax were withhold for these two months under my OPT. My H1B started on 3/1/05. I would gratefully appreciate your help on the following questions: 1) Am I a dual-status...

View more questions Search