Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    tax_questioner's Avatar
    tax_questioner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 22, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Husband on H1, wife arrived in feb 2007 on H4, converted to F1 in Fall 2007

    I was on H1 visa for the entire period of 2007 and I got married in Jan 2007 in India and came back with my wife in Feb 2007. She came on H4 visa and then started her masters on H4 visa and got it converted to F1 status here in the US itself. She has been working on campus since Sep 2007 and her income for the 2007 period is $762.

    I was a little confused when I read some of the other answers. So here are my doubts:

    1) To get max. tax benefits I think I should be filing jointly with her since I paid her tuition for the Fall semester and she earned only a small amount. Is that correct? She will probably start her OPT sometime in Fall 2009. Does that affect the situation in any way?

    2) Does she need to file for revocation of status if we file jointly for 2007?

    Any help would be highly appreciated?

    Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    May 2, 2008, 12:22 PM
    1) That is correct; filing jointly will produce the best refund tax-wise.

    2) No. She can continue as a F-1 student and, under new IRS guidance, is STILL exempt from FICA taxes while on CPT or OPT.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self on H1-B ( whole year 2007), wife is in India. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was working for the entire year of 2007 on a H1-B visa and got married in November 2007. My wife could not join me here during 2007 and will only be here in May 2008. 1. What should be my status while filing for my 2007 tax return? 2. Can I apply for an ITIN number for my wife while she...

Wife (H4) was not in the US 2007, can we file jointly? [ 4 Answers ]

I was on H1B visa in 2007, previously was on F1 visa from 2002-2006. My wife and I got married in Dec 2007 in China. She came to the US on H4 visa in Jan 2008. She was not physically in the US in 2007. Can we file jointly for 2007? Thanks for you help! -Jun

Husband on H1 Wife converted from H4 to F1 [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Experts - I am on an H1B visa and my wife converted from H4 to F1 in Fall 2007. She has a 25% assistantship and hence is earning a little bit. This is a new situation for me. How do I file my taxes married/separately also resident/non-resident. Thanks Sunil

Married filing jointly for 2006 spouse arrived on Jan 2007 no itin 2 state filings [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on H1 since Nov05. In 2006, I had 2 life events: Marriage & Moving I have the following questions: 1. I got married in Dec2006. My spouse arrived in Jan07 & is a homemaker after marriage. Do I file as Married filing jointly or Married filing separately? 2. I have 2 State...

View more questions Search