Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    powcow1's Avatar
    powcow1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 30, 2012, 10:18 AM
    How to file tax for geen card holder and H1B visa holder?

    I am a green card holder and married my wife who is on H1B visa. Which is more beneficial to file a married joint tax return or separately? Or does it matter at all when I petition for her own green card later on.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
    HOW you file makes no difference on your green card application, just as long as the filing is legal.

    It is LIKELY that filing jointly is the best option tax-wise, but the only way to know for sure is to model it BOTH ways.

    If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there.
    mail2renji's Avatar
    mail2renji Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 24, 2012, 10:37 PM
    One of the employer from US is going to file H1-B VIsa petition for me.Now I am working in India and planning to change some other company,it may be in Gulf.
    Sometime I will not work for 3-4 months.

    For HIB Visa I have two Questions.

    1.Current job mandatory at the time of visa stamping?
    2.Job itself is mandatory at the time of Visa stamping?

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 25, 2012, 06:45 AM
    This is NOT a tax question; it is a LEGAL question best posted in the Law forum under Immigration Law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which is an approperiate tax form to file for H1B visa holder? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Can some one help me in knowing the difference between the 1040 EZ and 1040NR-EZ forms? Am on a H1B visa, working in u.s from nov 2008. I need to file my tax for year 2008. Am consufed which of the forms do I need to file. Few people are filing the 1040NR-EZ , and few are doing...

How to file tax for newly married H1B visa holder and wife on H4 visa [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working in US for the past 3 years and I got married on OCT 19 in India. My wife came here on March in H4 Visa. Please help me in filing tax for H1 visa jointly with my wife.

Green card holder married to F1 visa.. How to file tax? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am green card holder and I married to a girl who is on student visa in August 2011. I haven't filed for her green card application. HOw should I file tax ? Jointly or separately ? Please provide details. Thanks, Bhargav

How to file taxes for H1B visa holder and wife on visiting visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I got married on 20th Nov 2010. My wife was in USA for 8 days. Then she went back to UK where she has a job and is paying taxes there. We will be living apart till 2012. Now, 2 questions: 1) Assuming I will be filing taxes married but not jointly, so how should I get my salary in...

View more questions Search