Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    madisonmabel's Avatar
    madisonmabel Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 3, 2008, 01:19 PM
    How to file state tax for married couple work in different states
    In 2007, my husband worked in Illinois and had the Illinois state tax withheld. I worked in New York and had the New York state tax withheld.

    We want to file married jointly for 2007 with the resident address in Illinois. How should we file for state taxes? Should we file for Illinois and New York separately?

    Thanks for the help!
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,132, Reputation: 1307

    Mar 3, 2008, 01:29 PM
    You should file as MFJ for both federal and IL, and non-resident for NY State. Do the NY State non-resident tax return first; then when you do the IL return you will get a credit for taxes paid to NY.

    You need to be a little careful here to ensure that you have established residency in IL. The state of NY would love to claim you as NY residents (so that they can tax your husband's salary) - if you haven't already done so you should get your IL driver's license and your employer should be using your IL address as your home address (for example, IL should be shown as your home address on your W2).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax return for married couple living in different states [ 11 Answers ]

Dear Sir I got married in Dec 2006. My wife lived in Texas for the entire 2006 and I live in Ohio for the entire 2006. I have some questions regarding filing this years taxes. 1) If we file our federal return under "married filing jointly" status, then can we file my Ohio tax return under ...

State tax returns for a married couple living separately [ 3 Answers ]

We used to live together in MI, but I moved to MA alone for a new job in June 2006. My spouse is still living and working in MI. Federal tax return wise, it seems that we will have to go with the "married but filing separately" option, but the state tax return seems to be a bit tricky. My questions...

How to file state taxes for two states? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the military and have California state taxes deducted due to my residency at the time of my enlistment. I am now stationed in Colorado and have owned a home here for the past 3 years. I have a second job in Colorado and of course have Colorado state taxes withheld. How do I file...

Married Dual State Tax (NY , PA).. File Separately? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a question. I recently started a job here in PA (state flat rate tax ~3.07%) and commute back to NYC on the weekends. My wife still lives/works in NY (city and state ~10%). We haven't decided on whether to move to PA or not. For this year should I change my address to a place...

View more questions Search