Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Trishala Raj's Avatar
    Trishala Raj Posts: 93, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member

    Jul 8, 2019, 04:30 PM
    How to file

    Case 1:Was on F1 since 2016. Got opt from 04/2018. On 10/2018 started on H1b. Filed extension and have not filed return so far for 2018. I am single. What is the best way for me to file?

    Case 2: Both spouse and myself came to US in 07/2018. I was on H1b visa. Spouse needs itin. We have filed for extension . What is the best way to file?
    Had been to India for 10 days in Dec.

    Any response would be appreciated.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jul 8, 2019, 05:00 PM
    Case 1:

    Since you are single, you have not yet met the Substantial Presence Test, so you must file Forms 1040NR-EZ and 8843 ONE LAST TIME, with the state return.

    Case 2:

    Probably the best way to file is filing a JOINT return and claiming ALL world-wide income earned in 2018 and claim the Foreign Tax Credit using Form 1116 for the taxes paid in your home country on the income earned in that country before you came to the United States.

    You will also have to complete Form W-7 to apply for an ITIN for the non-working spouse.

    If you need help to file either way, you can contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband was told by PO to file for early termination. What form does he file? [ 15 Answers ]

My husband served 20 years in the Federal Penitentry and has been on parole over six years. His PO has told him that since he has not even been in contact with law Enforcement etc, since his release in 2006, to file for early termination and He will also recommend by letter that his supervision be...

Create a link in a pdf file for open an Excel file in an specific sheet and cell [ 2 Answers ]

I know how to create a hyperlink in a pdf file that opens an Excel file but I don't know how this link can opens the Excel file in a specific sheet and cell; any ideas?

If I missed apr15, oct15 deadlines- 09 filing can I file 1040NR or ER can I file by d [ 1 Answers ]

If I missed April 15-2010 & Oct-15-2010 deadlines for 2009 tax returns filing can I file 1040NR or 1040NR-ER by Dec 31st 2010?

Wait and file first year choice or go ahead file as a non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Dear TAx Expert, I was on F1/OPT until July 30th and changed to H-1B on August 25th. I earned less than 4,500.00 during my OPT and had a total income of 16000 on H-1B. Should I file an extension and make First Year Choice after I pass the SPT or just go ahead to file the tax return as a...

View more questions Search