Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    llemus's Avatar
    llemus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 22, 2011, 08:15 PM
    How do I transfer money from a foreign country
    1. I am about to receive a gift for my two sons (2) and 5 yrs old, $50,000 each but the money is in a foreign
    Country. How should my relative transfer the funds, in increments less than $10,000?

    2. Will they need to file and income tax return?

    Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jul 24, 2011, 11:29 PM

    1. About Gift Tax.
    In U.S. the receiver of gift does not pay any gift tax. Only the donor of the gift is liable of gift tax. If the donor is a foreign person (that is the person is not a U.S. citizen or resident), the donor is not covered by U.S. taxes that is donor does not pay any U.S. tax. Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax

    2. Getting Money to U.S.
    You can get any amount from a foreign country through your bank. The $10,000 is limit from bringing currency notes (or cash in any form) to U.S. By wire transfer to your bank account you can get even 1 million dollars.

    3. However, since it is coming from a foreign country, the IRS wants to make sure that it is a actually a gift. So the receiver of the gift from foreign sources must file File 3520 Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts if the amount if the total gifts received is more than a certain amount. Check if you will be required to file Form 3520 or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer my money from a foreign country to US [ 9 Answers ]

I recently sold a house in a foreign country and paid local taxes on this transaction. I would like to transfer this money from my bank account in the foreign country to my US bank account. What are my legal obligations? Are there any forms I need to file? Will I need to pay US tax on this money?...

Cash Transfer from Foreign Country to the US [ 1 Answers ]

All, I am a non-us Citizen with a L1 visa working in the US. In July 2008 I sent from overseas an amount of over $10,000 using a wire transaction (from one of the major US banks). I used the money to buy a house in the US and did not have any revenue from interest. As I was reading some similar...

Fund transfer to a foreign country [ 2 Answers ]

I heard that if one transfers a fund over $10,000 to a foreign country, a bank has to report it to the government. Is it $10,000 per transaction or $10,000 per year?

View more questions Search