Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    meghana1's Avatar
    meghana1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 17, 2007, 04:51 PM
    How to claim tution fees for elementary school kid.
    I am sending my 4th grade son to sylvan tutoring classes as he needs some help with language arts, when I enrolled him they said I can claim this in taxes and gave their tax id too, ( I didn't request). But when I was filing my taxes online - I see the options only for college going kids. Can you just give info regarding this how I can claim these tution fees.

    Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 20, 2007, 11:08 AM
    You CANNOT claim Sylvan tutoring as a tax deduction or credit.

    That only applies for classes beyond high school.
    harini11's Avatar
    harini11 Posts: 3, Reputation: -1
    New Member

    May 5, 2011, 01:33 AM
    Based on your experience you can claim the fee. I would suggest $20 to $25 per hour. You can also clarify with other tutors you know. If interested you can become a private tutor by visiting

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USMLE fees, h1b attorney fees [ 4 Answers ]

I am on a H1b visa in the US... my wife is a physician who is writing USMLE exams to get a residency in US... I was wondering if I can deduct all the usmle exam fees + costs of applying to residency programs (close to $5000) as expenses on my taxes? I also paid for the attorney fees to get my...

College application fees and testing fees as tax deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Are the fees we are paying for our son to apply to various colleges tax deductable? Also, what about the money paid to take ACT ; SAT and AP tests? And, th emoney spent requesting these scores be sent to the universities being applied to?

May I claim for the tution fee in 1040NR-EZ [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in spring 2005 on an F-1 student visa. I filed form 1040A for 2005 online and claimed hope credit and got all my tax for that year refunded. Now I picked up form 1040NR-EZ, in which there was a question asking me which form did I use for last year. My total wages is 15335...

Can I claim Tax credit for paying wife's tution on H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am on H1-b visa since last 2 years and my wife is on h-4. My wife went to school during 2006 and I paid the tution for her. I called up the university to get a 1098T form but the university denied as she is on H-4. So my question is whether I can claim her tution fees as a deductible while...

My elementary school sweetheart [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, So my elementary school sweetheart pops back into my life about every 5 years. When we were kids we had a crush on each other but we did the usual kid things, he picked on me and I was mean in return. Both of our mothers are close friends so over the years of us not seeing each other and dating...

View more questions Search