Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    raman's Avatar
    raman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 5, 2005, 02:06 AM
    Help needed: Form to file 1040NR?
    Before I start with my question, Thanks to AtlantaTaxExpert for patiently answering the questions to all.It does really help us many reading your posts.
    I got most of the information I require from the questions other people have asked.
    I am trying to follow this post for my decisions
    I want to make sure what I am doing is right.

    I am single and entered US on F1 Aug 2000 and on F1 status and worked in 2004 (on CPT and OPT) until Sept30 2004. Changed to H1 from Oct1 2004.

    1) Based on substantial presence test, its less than 183 days, so non-residential alien. (Don't have to do dual status tax forms 1040 NR and 1040)
    2) 1040NR or 1040NREz ?
    Income less than 100,000
    1040NREz says if interest income is there , use 1040NR instead (not EZ form)
    But have received 1099-INT with interest earned amount 400$.
    Read in Pub519, that non-residential aliens can exempt interest income from banks. Is my understanding correct?
    Then can I file 1040NR Ez? Or do I have to report interest income and file 1040NR?
    I received only one 1099-INT for the whole year and not separately for F1 time and H1 time.

    3) I can use standard deduction ($4,850) + personal exemption ($3,100), right?

    4) have to file 8843 with it

    I appreciate your any help on this issue.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 5, 2005, 10:39 AM

    Nice to know someone is benefiting from my sometimes confused answers.

    1) You should file as a non-resident alien, as you do not meet the Substantial Presence Test and therefore are not a dual-status alien.

    2) Agree that your interest is not taxable and therefore does not have to be reported. For this reason, file Form 1040NR-EZ.

    3) You definitely get the personal exemption. You also get the $4,850 standard deduction if you are from India. However, make sure your combined state and local income taxes withheld (plus charitable donations) do not exceed that standard deduction.

    4) This should be the last year you need to file Form 8843.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early 401k withdrawal 1040NR form [ 5 Answers ]

I am an Austrian National who lived in Columbia, SC 1999 - 2002 and moved to Mexico in before the end of 2002. In 2003 I made an early withdrawal of my entire 401k savings of $US 23'000. Now I receive a letter from the IRS that I need to file a tax return using form 1040NR. Question one: Is...

Urgent -- tax questions before sending out form 1040NR-EZ [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I initially got converted from F1 to H1-B last year(2005). As per your suggestion I know I have to file 1040NR(EZ) and form 8843. I have a few line questions on these forms. On form 1040 NR(EZ) line 24, what am I supposed to put? Different people give me different suggestions, can you please...

Form 1040nr and 2106 [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am an non-resident allien for tax purposes. Can I file together with 1040NR Also forms 2106-Employee Business Expenses and 3903-Moving expenses? Or are these form just for 1040 US citizens? Thank you HPE7777

Which form should I file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, I am from China. My visa status is H1 from Oct. 1, 2005 and prior to that was F1. I stayed in Minnesota from Jan. 1 to May 30 and in this period I earned some money as a Research Assistant. Then I moved to MA till now. I am married and my spouse is still holding F1 in MN for...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search