Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    kdcd's Avatar
    kdcd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 25, 2006, 12:58 PM
    Help needed
    My name is Kadam and I am going to file taxes for 2005 soon. I was on OPT from July 2004 to July 2005. Then I applied for H-1B which got approved Dec 23rd 2005 but I joined employer only on Jan 1 2006. I did not work between July 2005 and Dec 2005. I have worked on OPT for just 3 months in the whole year of 2005 from April to July 2005.

    What I wanted to ask is that am I correct in filing 1040 NR EZ and 8843 forms only for those 3 months of work on OPT. And what benefits can I claim for those 3 months. Can I only use the treaty exemption and how much is that treaty exemption. Can I use it even though I have worked for just 3 months and not for the whole year. Will the treaty deduction be less then.

    Also my wife is a Green Card holder and both of us are filing separately.

    My time line. Came to U.S on Aug 23rd 2001 on F-1 visa. OPT from July 2004 to July 2005. H-1b from Dec 23rd 2005 onwards.
    My employer during OPT did not charge SS on W-2 but took Medicare withheld about $150. Can I file form 843 to get that $150 back also.

    Any other deductions I can use. Thank you for all your help.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 25, 2006, 11:32 PM

    Yes, you should file as a non-resident alien, even though you only worked for 3 months. You can claim the $5,000 standard deduction as a treaty exemption under Article 21(2).

    You can get the withheld Mdicare taxes by filing Form 843.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help needed [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am mum of 2 kids and I have been worried about my body and skin after 2 deliveries. I have developed darker skin down there. :eek: and its looks so :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Can you help me get my skin back to normal color. I mean how can I get my pubic skin fairer . Help needed

Driver needed! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dell Dimension 2300 desktop and I really am having trouble locating a driver for the CD-RW drive. Can someone please help?

Tutor needed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi can someone be my physics tutor, I really really need help in it, I'm in grade 11.. someone that checks their email regularly... if your willing to help please reply to this post.. thx :)

Help needed [ 1 Answers ]

I have decided to use a debt settlement to help with 13,000 debt. I need to know which company is the best for me. What questions do I ask? How do I know this company is going to produce what they say? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Help needed [ 2 Answers ]

Yo man how ru.. how is everyhting.. I am sorry to bother u.. // umm I am in trouble I like this girl and I want to date her but the problem is that she said she likes someone else but if she stops fancing him she will go out with me,. and when ever I send her a message trough my phone she never...

View more questions Search