Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    vivek444's Avatar
    vivek444 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 20, 2006, 12:19 AM
    Please, please help. h1b and 1099
    I am a physician doing j1 waiver , on H1b visa. I am employed by a private group. The hospital pays 25000 dollar as a policy to new doctors over three years as signing bonus. In 2004 the hospital paid me 6000 dollar , but they sent me 1099 misc which I accepted and also showed on my tax refund. I had no clue about its affect at that time. This year they again sent me 1099misc of dollar 12000. I know now that one should not accept 1099 misc on H1b visa. What can I do, please advice. What kind of affect it can have on my green card processing.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 20, 2006, 10:15 AM

    If the Form 1099-MISC came from the same employer as your regular pay, it should have no effect on your green card processing.

    The law says you should not work for someone other than the person sponsoring your H-1B visa. It looks like you have met the spirit of that law, if not the letter.

    You can argue that the bonus you received actually orginated from that sponsor, even if the hospital is a separate entity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-c [ 3 Answers ]

I have already received my refund for this year. After receiving my refund, I received a 1099-C form. I took it to my tax account and she said that the $65,340.71 in box 2 (it also listed interest in box 3 $9577.90), that I would have to pay taxes on, which is $14,000. I told her, isnít my ex...

1099 without tax id [ 1 Answers ]

I am still preparing the 1099 forms. One contractor fails to provide us his tax id. IRS 1099 instructions indicate that there may be penalty for not providing the tax id. Shoud I still file the 1099 for him without the tax ID? Or it is better off not to file at all.

1099-g [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I received a 1099-G regarding state tax refund I got 2005 and I know I have to include it as income in Form 1040. And I also received another 1099 form saying "Statement for Recipients of Interest Income", "Calendar Year", "Total Interest Paid or Credited-$36.67". My questions are, 1) I...

1099 c [ 1 Answers ]

I have a line of credit account that is now delinquent. Most recently the sent me a notice regarding a settlement. This is what the letter says: "Settle your past due account ONCE AND FOR ALL! Your current outstanding balance due on account number XXXX is $5,448.52. As of January 1, 2006, we will...

1099 and H1 [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for your valuable help that you are giving to so many people. I need one help too. I am on H1. Can I work on 1099. Will this create any problems? Secondly. How may hours I can work on 1099 if I am allowed to? I am working 40/week on W2 with a consulting conpany on H1. I want to...

View more questions Search