Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    gbrenes's Avatar
    gbrenes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 11, 2006, 03:27 PM
    I have several sources of income
    Hi, I am a foreign graduate student with a F-1 visa. Since I've been here for only 4 years, I am a nonresident alien for tax purposes

    I got a 1042-S form because of my income as a trainee and a W-2 form because of my income as a research assistant. I completed my 1040NR-EZ using these two forms.

    However, I provided statistical personal service to one of my professors for a short period (4 weeks). I charged $390.00 for this work that I did, but I do not have any form that states that I was paid $390.00 because the professor that hired me told me the amount was very small, so she didn't need to extend a W-2 form for that.

    I do not know how to include these $390.00 in my tax return. Then my question is:

    a) should I declare the $390.00, since the amount is so low that it might be exempted?

    b) If I should, how do I certify that I received it?

    c) If I should, in what field of 1040NR-EZ should I include this?

    Thank you in advance

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 12, 2006, 08:15 AM

    A & C) The income is not exempt from income tax, You need to report the $390 on Schedule C. This will require you file Form 1040 NR isntead of the Form 1040NR-EZ.

    b) You do not need certification. The professor is correct; she does not have to file either a W-2 or Form 1099-MSIC on any amount under $600.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need sources of fashion tips. [ 2 Answers ]

Please can someone give me some sources (www) where I can find tips for women fashion (in all aspects - makeup, hairstyle bla bla bla). GB

2 heat sources... one blower? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm hooking up an outdoor woodburner as my main heat source (hot water w/radiator in existing ductwork) and using my existing forced air oil furnace as a backup. 2 thermostats. How do I wire up the blower motor so that both thermostats don't "kick" on at once and give the motor 220V? Is there a...

Tax on 2nd income [ 2 Answers ]

Hi :) My husband I currently work full time jobs, but I'm considering a second job as a mystery shopper. I would receive 1099's at the end of the year from each company that paid me over $600 during the year. The pay for shopping is generally between $5 to $25 per shopping experience...

Reference books/sources [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to finish a roughed in basement bathroom. Could a kind person direct me to a good reference/how-to book. I have done a few plumbing projects around the house and regard myself quite handy. However, with respect to basement bathroom, I feel like a layperson. Regards, :)

View more questions Search