Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    tom_g's Avatar
    tom_g Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
    H1B visa tax
    Hi, everyone. I am working at Maryland. From Sep 1 this year I will change my J-1 visa to H1B visa. The salary is about $60000. I will have a baby in July. My wife will hold H4 visa. Any one can tell me how much tax I need pay in 2009?
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jun 25, 2008, 12:02 PM
    If you file your tax return after you complete Substantial Presence Test in 2008 or 2009, you will be eligible to file joint return as residents. You will get standard deduction for both of you and exemption for all three of you. You will also get child tax credit of $1,000.

    For your 2008 tax return, you must take professional help. You may contact [email protected], who expertise in such returns.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jun 26, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Your federal income tax liability will be about $4,100, assuming that you file jointly with your wife and after the Child Tax Credit is applied.

    The Social Security tax is assessed at 6.2%, and Medicare is assessed at 1.45%.

    Cannot do Maryland.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L2 visa status change to student visa [ 5 Answers ]

HOw do I go about changing my daughters L2 visa to a student visa as she wants to start college in the fall, Her L2 visa expires in June 2009

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. Can I claim her as a Dependent while filing for the tax return. Do I have to apply for ITIN? Please explain the procedure. Thanks

View more questions Search