Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    aparajitha's Avatar
    aparajitha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 13, 2007, 05:00 PM
    H1b visa holder filing joined tax return with H4wife
    I reached US on H1b visa at the middle of October, 2005 and filed tax for 2005 as resident alien by waiting up to June, 2006 for passing SPT. So my 2005 tax filing went fine.

    I married on Nov3,2006 and my wife reached (h4 visa) here on Nov 28, 2006.

    For getting ITIN for my wife I filled W7 form and marked colulmn " e ".

    I approached one of the taxes filing company for solving this issue.

    1. They just given a certificate saying that they checked my wifeís H4 visa and passport and other certificate. They didnít sign on the copy of H4 visa paper.

    They told me that just send the certificate which they given with W7 form and filled tax 1040EZ paper and copy of w2 for getting ITIN.

    And also told that no need to resubmit the 1040EZ form to IRS after getting ITIN number, because ITIN people will send it directly to concerned office.

    They also told me to wait for filing state tax return after getting the ITIN number.

    2. Is the SPT is necessary for my wife too, for joined filing?( for 10,300 $ tax reduction)

    3. They told me that I don't need to extend the period for tax filing too

    What I have to do?

    1. Is I need to wait until May or June end to file the joined tax return (because my wife SPT will achieve only on that period).

    2. Is it compulsory to put a copy of H4 visa paper notarised, instead of the certificate I got from the concerned company (they have branches all over US) saying that they checked everything and it is correct.

    3. Am I need to resubmit 1040EZ form to IRS, after getting the ITIN .

    4. Is there any need for extension of the date for my tax returns, because I have to wait at least 4 weeks to get my ITIN .

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 16, 2007, 12:46 PM
    First, you filed INCORRECTLY for 2005; you were in fact a non-resident or dual-status alien for 2005 and should have filed Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. This is something you should fix if you want to apply for immigrtation status.

    As for 2006, you need NOT wait, as you are in fact a resident alien for 2006. Your wife is filing as the non-resident alien spouse of a resident alien (you). If you are applying for an ITIN for her, you need complete Form W-7, have her sign the W-7, then staple a notarized photocopy of her passport to the W-7. Attach these forms to your tax return (Form 1040EZ) and mail it to the ITIN Processinf Center in Austin, Texas (address is in the W-7 instructions.


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TAX Exempt for OPT/H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working in New York from November of 2005 with OPT visa (F-1) and got H-1 visa in October, 2006. I was told I should file tax as a non-resident for 2006 but I'm wondering if I can still claim exempt as a student for the time I worked as a OPT holder. (I did not claim it for 2005) And...

Tax return form for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a H1B visa holder, came to US in January, 2006. I am married and I have two children, one is born in US and another one in Bangladesh. My wife and one child have H4 visa (dependent visa). I have social security number but they don't have SSC/TIN. Is there anybody can tell me how...

New York city tax refund for H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in New York city for 2 and half years and am currently holding an H1B visa. I filed my last 2 tax returns as a non resident for New York, and was able to get a full refund of my New York city tax. My question is I'm not sure if I can still file as non resident and get...

Tax Return for H3b Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine is currently working in th U.S on a H-3B visa. She has been advised that she can only claim back $602 of the $2335,62 in Federal Tax that she has paid in over the last year... is this possible ?

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

View more questions Search