Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    hkswma's Avatar
    hkswma Posts: 22, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 2, 2010, 07:36 AM
    H1B visa holder, file as single head of household or married?
    I'm currently on an H-1B visa and spouse on H-4 therefore she doesn't have a SSN and no job.

    Is it better to have my W4 and eventually yearly tax as single, head of household? If I do this can I still enter a 1 on line C on the W-4 for spouse?

    Or the second option should I apply for a TIN and file as married filing jointly.

    Please keep in mind that we have 3 kids so I'm trying to get the best tax rate and the right one as well.

    Thanks in advance for the advice.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Feb 3, 2010, 04:41 AM

    You are married so you are not head of household.
    For head of household you must be unmarried or did not live with your spouse for last six months of the year and have a qualifying dependent and pay more than half the cost of the household. Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status: Head of Household
    Five Rings's Avatar
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7
    Full Member

    Feb 3, 2010, 10:39 AM

    Where are your kids? Have they been in America for 183 days?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which is an approperiate tax form to file for H1B visa holder? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Can some one help me in knowing the difference between the 1040 EZ and 1040NR-EZ forms? Am on a H1B visa, working in u.s from nov 2008. I need to file my tax for year 2008. Am consufed which of the forms do I need to file. Few people are filing the 1040NR-EZ , and few are doing...

H1-B Taxes Head of household or single [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I will be obtaining an H1-B visa and am currently under the F1 OPT. My employer currently deducts federal taxes under the status "head of household". My correct status, I think, is single (as I have no dependent and I am living with my fiancée). This isn't really important now since the...

H1B married to F1 visa. File jointly/ separately [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 2003 and am on H1 visa since 2006. Actually I have more than one question 1. My wife (on F1) came to the US in July 2007. Due to ignorance, we filed her taxes through turbotax (dint know non resident students can do that) and she also received the stimulus rebate...

Married file file single or head of house [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I hate one of the national tax chains, they always show me oweing when I really get money back but due to some situations out of my control I am forced to use one. This is what I was told, When filing, we were gong to file, either married filing single or a head of household for...

H1B Single for the year 2007 ( got married Jan 2008 ) - how to file taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was single for the tax year 2007 since I got married this year( 2008 ). I was told that I should be filing as single - is it correct? If filing as single, how do I apply Tax Id for my spouse,she is in US since Jan 2008. Appreciate your assistance, thanks for your time Rams

View more questions Search