Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    sutr2481's Avatar
    sutr2481 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 24, 2008, 07:41 PM
    H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa?
    I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. Can I claim her as a Dependent while filing for the tax return. Do I have to apply for ITIN? Please explain the procedure.

    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jan 25, 2008, 03:37 AM
    You can even file resident tax return for 2007 as Married Filing Jointly if you wait to file your tax return till you complete SPT test. Then you will get standard deduction of $10,700 and exemptions of $6,800.

    To give you more information, let us know:
    When did you enter the U.S. and type of visa? When did you get H1-B?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 25, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Agreed; more information is needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dependent Visa to UK [ 3 Answers ]

My wife is working in UK and she holds a work permit. Kindly advice me about the procedure to get a dependent Visa,. like.. documents required, charges etc..

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

Dependent tax exemption for L1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in oct 2006 on L1 visa. My wife and son came in Dec. I started paying for their medical insurance since oct. Now I have received my W2 form. Can I claim my wife and son as dependents to get the tax benefit. I assume I need to file 1040NR form filing jointly with wife. Which...

Dependent Tax exmption for H1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to start working in USA on H1 visa from October 2007 and my wife will join me later in year 2008. Will I be able to claim for dependent tax exemption for year 2007 and 2008 though my wife joins me in end of year 2008? If my wife also gets H1 visa and accompanies me in year...

View more questions Search