Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    sp8's Avatar
    sp8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
    H1B Holder filing status - Wife & Kids never been to US

    I am a H1B holder in US from Jun 2006.
    My Wife and kids never been to US. What would be my filing status and can I claim Spouse Exemption.

    - SP
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 15, 2007, 10:51 AM

    You can file jointly with your wife; her physical location is irrelevant.

    You MAY claim your children as dependents, but they will NOT qualify for the Child Tax Credit.
    vengab0yz's Avatar
    vengab0yz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 26, 2007, 06:59 AM
    There are 5 criterions that must ALL be met to file jointly and claim exemptions for dependents. One of the criteria is:

    - must be a U.S. citizen or national, or a resident of the U.S. Canada, or Mexico.

    How could a person claim the exemptions for wife and kids if the above criteria is not met ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 29, 2007, 11:42 AM
    I have thoroughly researched this, and have spoken to the IRS on the child's dependency issue in such cases on THREE separate occasions over the past two months.

    The wife's physical location when filing jointly is completely irrelevant. When they file jointly and make this choice, they choose to be treated as resident aliens. When this choice is made, residency status is granted to the wife NO MATTER WHERE she is located.

    If a child is involved, the residency status is ALSO APPLIED TO the child under this program. Again, this issue was not directly addressed anywhere in IRS Pub 519, so I queried the IRS International Tax Hotline at length. They even conferred with the IRS legal department and called me back to confirm the interpretation, which is that the child receives the residency status of the parents when they make this choice EVEN IF THEY HAVE NOT BEEN IN THE UNITED STATES IN 2006. The only requirement is that they be in the custody of at least one of the parents for the entire calendar year.

    BOTTOM LINE: Making the First Year Choice and Choosing to be treated as a resident alien grants residency status to the spouse AND the child, making both eligible to be treated as dependents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing tax return (Changed status from F1-OPT to H1B) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was a F1 student from Jan 2001 to Dec 2005. I am an Indian citizen and single I did my OPT in Texas Tech Univ. from Dec 18 2005 to Dec 17 2006. I got my H1B on Dec 18 2006 from TTU. I have Fedral income tax, social security tax and medicare tax charged during 2006. Which of the forms...

L-1 Visa holder - filing status - Can all the deductions be claimed ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L-1 Visa in US since Nov 27,2005 through Mar 03, 2006 and was back on Apr 15 2006. My Spose and child joined me in Apr 15,2006. I have filed taxes for 2005 as NR as I was here for a month only. For 2006 I believe I will be a resident alien having passed the substantial...

Filing Tax First Time for myself (H1B) and my Wife(H4) [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I was in Seattle, WA from Mar 2006 to Nov 2006 on H1B. My Wife was with me from Apr 2006 to Nov 2006 on H4. I had mentioned M2 as the FWT. I am back to my native country from Nov 2006. I have the following queries regarding filing the tax. Kindly clarify my queries. 1. Am I a resident...

H1B Visa; Wife on H4; Filing Status [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I have been on H1B visa since July 2003. I am currently residing in New Jersey for the past 2 years. I got married in May and my wife accompanied me to US on 05/22/2006. She is on a H4 Visa and has been living with me since then. She does not have a SSN/ITIN/TIN. To file my taxes: ...

Tax for H1B holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got an postdoctoral fellow offer under H1B visa from one university in US. If I hold Singapore passport, do I need to pay tax? How about china possport? Thanks.

View more questions Search