Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    aditya999's Avatar
    aditya999 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 2, 2020, 10:39 PM
    green card and taxes
    After how many months of staying outside the country in the current pandemic does one lose the green card (becomes invalid)? After the green card becomes invalid in this manner, will IRS be notified or does one have to physically surrender the card to notify IRS and stop paying taxes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Oct 3, 2020, 12:56 PM
    I cannot answer the question about how many months living outside of the U.S. forces you to surrender your green card. This is a question to be posted under Immigration Law, NOT taxes.

    That said, once the Green Card IS surrendered, you will file a Residency Termination Statement with your final tax return to inform the IRS of your changed status.
    aditya999's Avatar
    aditya999 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 5, 2020, 01:31 PM
    Thank you. Is the Residency Termination Statement downloadable?

    When a green card is surrendered, USCIS informs IRS of the same. I'm assuming in this scenario, since IRS has been notified indirectly, taxes don't need to be filed any longer or is a separate residency termination statement still required to be submitted before tax filing is stopped?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Oct 5, 2020, 03:06 PM
    The Residency Termination Statement IS still required. I have a boiler-plate copy I can send you for a small fee, but you can find out what is required in IRS Pub 519.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift taxes from Green Card holder to US family member [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, My ageing Mum holds a green card and is living in Europe . She want to give me the title to a piece of land that she purchased in 1991 for $ 20,000. The land is now valued at around $ 250,000 . I am her son and hold US citizenship . What are the tax implications . Will there be an...

Withholding of Taxes for a Green Card holder residing Outside US [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm a Greed Card holder and now I'm working and residing in India. My employer pays me Salary in India and withholds income tax in India. I travel to US occasionally on Business Trips, does my employer have to withhold taxes for the trips. I receive no compensation in US, everything is...

Gift Taxes from a US Green Card holder [ 5 Answers ]

My mother lives overseas, but has a US green card, has decided to help with my home renovations and will be sending money in installments to help out. Amount will be around $50K per year for around 5 years. 1. Since she has a green card does that mean she has to pay US gift taxes? If Yes,...

Do I need to pay US taxes on money from German PostDoc Research If I have green card? [ 3 Answers ]

Actually, I am asking for my wife. She is a German Citizen and a Green Card Holder living here in the US with me (a US citizen) and working on her research. She gets paid from a German Postdoctoral Research Fund. But makes no US-based income whatsoever. Some have told us that she'd have...

How do I file for 2009 taxes if I married someone who did not have a green card yet? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I am a US citizen who got married in 2009 to a J1 Visa holder so that he can apply for a green card - he filed for this change of status in October 2009. We're still in the middle of the process now, and we have his green card interview in February 2010. I'm trying to file my taxes for...

View more questions Search