Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    umoghe's Avatar
    umoghe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 18, 2007, 03:47 AM
    General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status.
    I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier.

    Period of Visit:
    March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ
    August 2006 Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ

    My company paid the salary in USD and is Located in US.

    Questions are

    1. What should be my Filling status?
    2. Which Form should I file for Federal (1040 or 1040NR)?
    3. Do I need to file return for NY and NJ States and on which Forms.
    4. Can I claim Standard Deduction in Federal / State Return if I have to File
    5. If I have to file 1040NR then Can I claim refund for the Social Security Deduction and Medi Care Deduction?

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 18, 2007, 05:06 PM
    1 & 2) You should as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

    3) You will need to file BOTH NY and NJ state tax returns.

    4) No.

    5) There is no deduction for withheld Social Security or Medicare taxes.

    If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].
    nitin_dadas's Avatar
    nitin_dadas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 25, 2011, 05:44 AM
    If one employee Rs.1250.00 medical allowance examstion he provide Rs.15000 bills but we consider his medical insurance preemium Rs.15000 in same year it is correct or not?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 26, 2011, 09:41 AM
    Your question involes INDIAN tax issues.

    This forum deals EXLUSIVELY with United States taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NY state tax IT 201 query [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, When you are filling out the 201 form for question 72 (NY State tax withheld) - I am assuming that is state income tax amount on your w-2. Now for question 73 (NY City Tax withheld) - is that the local tax box on your w-2? If so, do you have to add the 2 up and then subtract your actual tax...

Federal / State Tax - for NR in H1B with Family in H4 [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B and came to US on Sept 10th 2006. My wife and son are on H4 and they came to US on Nov 4th 2006. I have to file for Federal as well as 2 State taxes (NJ, OH). NJ - 09/10/2006 till 10/08/2006 OH - 10/08/2006 till 12/31/2006 (I am currently staying) 1. Please let me know my...

Federal Tax status for HI-B Visa Holder [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I graduated in May 2005 and have been holding a H1-B visa since December 2005. I am wondering what is my tax status for this year ? Which form should I fIll out? Is it possible for me to file my taxes as if I was a permanent resident even though I do not hold a green card (In the past I was...

CT state tax: filing status [ 9 Answers ]

I'm H1B visa holder together with my wife (H4, no income) since Feb 2005 in Connecticut. Under the residency rules of IRC 7701(b), we passed the substantial presence test in 2005 and therefore I am a resident aline for federal tax purpose, so does my wife. We file federal tax return joinly. When...

Tax filing questions - H1 status [ 9 Answers ]

I have been on H1 status from Jan 1 2005 through present. I think my tax filings will be pretty straight forward too. But I could not find any mails which spoke solely about H1 tax filing. (Or probably I just missed it, in which case my apologies). I am a resident of MA. I came here in Aug 2002 on...

View more questions Search