Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ragjr's Avatar
    ragjr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 6, 2008, 05:15 AM
    Foster child as a dependent
    Can I claim my foster child as a dependent on my tax filing?
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674

    Mar 6, 2008, 06:11 AM
    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) lets you claim a foster child as a dependent if you can prove that the child was officially placed under your supervision by a governing authority, such as a court. To claim a foster child, you must first satisfy IRS requirements

    Things You'll Need:

    * Proof of qualifying foster child
    * Proof of residence

    Step 1:
    Make sure your foster child qualifies under the codes of the IRS. If a child is eligible he can be listed as a dependent. You have to prove the relationship with the child, such as a foster child or adoption with an issuance by a governing agency. A qualifying child can help a taxpayer claim various tax benefits, such as head of household filing status. The child also qualifies as an exemption for a dependent.

    Step 2:
    Establish proof of residence. The foster child must have the same address as you for more than 6 months of the year you are claiming. The IRS will give you leeway in this area under certain conditions. For example, in the event of a divorce or separation.

    Step 3:
    Adhere to the age requirements set forth by the IRS to claim foster children. A child has to be 19 or younger for a taxpayer to get an exemption for a given year. In some cases the age limit is lifted. For example, if the child is enrolled in a school for a certain period during the year, the age limit rises to 24 years.

    Step 4:
    Show qualifying financial support for the foster child. If a foster child earns half of his own support for the tax year, a foster parent cannot claim the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child / Dependent Care Credit - H1/H4 Status [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the US on an H1, and my spouse in on an H4. We have a 3-year old daughter who is a US citizen. We send her to a private pre-school that costs quite a bit of money. Can this amount be claimed under the Child / Dependent Care credit ? Thanks

Dependent child [ 1 Answers ]

I file my taxes online and need to know how to file them this year since my 16yr old daughter has a job this year,does she file her own tax return and do I still claim her on mine?

Dependent child [ 5 Answers ]

How will I file my taxes next year if my dependent 16yr old daughter has worked,will she file her own return or will I still need to file her on mine

Previous foster child. [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I was wondering if there's any financal help for me. I'm 20 now and use to be in the foster system. My foster paurents never let me participate in the functions that they had for us when we were kids through the state. I'm having trouble paying for rent and everyday things. Is there any grants...

View more questions Search