Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    soumyabopaiah's Avatar
    soumyabopaiah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 30, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Forms for returning US-India Tax treaty benefit
    I came to US in 2004 December as a researcher and signed for US-India tax exemption treaty, and have taken the full benefit for 2004 and 2005. However, I overstayed and now would like to return the benefit taken. Please let me know which form should I use to pay back the tax benefit.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Dec 30, 2006, 08:29 PM
    You have to file your tax return for 2004 and 2005, paying the income taxes due. That would probably be Form 1040.

    There is also a state tax requirement if you live in one of the 43 states that have a state income tax.

    If you need help, contact me at

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

US-India treaty benefits in MA state tax? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi A.T.E, Thanks for your advice and time. Let me keep it as straight as possible: 1. Can I claim US-India treaty benefits while filing state taxes in Mass. 2. Can I claim my brother as dependent if I am paying his tuition fee for undergrad education in US? If yes, where do I reflect it in...

Who profits from USA-India Nuke Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

In dollars and cents, what companies in the United States will profit from the sale of nuclear components to India?

India-US tax treaty [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I came here in jan 2004 as J-1 Research scholar. Initially for few months the university withheld my federeal taxes but then stopped it. So when I filed my tax return 1040-NR for the year 2004 , the whole salary was exempted under the treaty and I also got the refund of the amount deducted...

F1OPT -> H1, tax form and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from 1998 to 2004, F1 OPT from July 2004 - July 2005, and H1 since July 2005. I'm working at the same job since my F1 OPT (so I have one W-2 form). In 2005, I was in the US with H1-B for less than 183 days, but I have been hear long enough with F1 visa, so I don't know if 1. I...

View more questions Search