Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    vineet's Avatar
    vineet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 20, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Forms to be filed-please help
    I entered the US in July of 2001. Was on F-1 until graduation in dec 2004. After on OPT and was approved H-1B, got it stamped in INDIA in FEB 2006.
    What forms do I need to use. IS it the 1040NR-EZ since this is my first year on H1B. Please do let me know
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,758, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 21, 2006, 05:20 PM

    For 2005, you should file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

    In 2006, you will file as a resident alien, filing for 1040, 1040A 04 1040EZ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filed 1040 instead 1040NR [ 19 Answers ]

Hi I filed 1040 through turbotax instead 1040NREZ/1040NR. Is it unlawful to file 1040 ? Someone suggest me what to do. Thanks dealsboy

Please help - amending tax returns - wrong forms (1040) filed [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to these forums - but seeing the responses, I am sure that I will get some much needed advice. My situtation is this: I was an Indian Student on F1 from July 2003 to April 2006. (My H1-B visa was approved to become effective from April 2006.) I...

Forms to be filed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I entered the US in July 2001. I was ion F-1 since till dec 2004 and then on OPT. My employer filed H1B and it was approved in oct 2005.I got it stamped in INDIA in feb 2006. DO I use the 1040 NR or 1040NR-EZ or 1040? As this is my first year of H1B? PLease let me know Thanks in advance...

Filed wrong form [ 9 Answers ]

I'm a j1 student doing hospitality training right now. I filed 1040ez instead of 1040nr. I didn't know about that at all. What should I do? I filed tax return year in 2002 as well. But I don't know if I did right or wrong Because that time I received $3. my friend filed it for me. I was on F-1...

Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

hi, I have filed 1040 instead of 1040NR for tax year 2003. It was a mistake. I did not check my Substantial Presence Test properly ( I did not know at that time, but now I know). I am from India and I got my status changed from F1 to H1B on October 8th, 2003. Before that I was on F1 OPT....

View more questions Search