Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    tarunkp's Avatar
    tarunkp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 31, 2011, 08:41 PM
    Which form to be used for filing tax on OPT (contract work)?
    I am working on contract on OPT. My OPT began on 2nd July 2010. As I understand, I need to use 1040-NR and 8843 forms for filing tax for 2010. Is this correct?

    Also, being on contract, can I use both itemized and standard deductions at the same time or either of those? I think the limit for standard deduction is $5700. Is there such thing as "personal expenses deduction" apart from the standard deduction?

    Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 7, 2011, 11:34 PM

    You can claim the standard deduction on Form 1040NR ONLY IF you from India.

    To properly claim the Form 1099 income, you must submit Schedule C with the Form 1040NR.

    If you need professional filing this return, email me at [email protected] This is what I do!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax while on OPT for contract work [ 5 Answers ]

I recently started my OPT with my employer. But, I am an engineering contractor with the organization. How should I file my taxes and what forms should I request my employer? Will my tax percentage be 15% or 7.5% ?

OPT to H1B Tax filing-SS tax refund? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. Arrived in US in Aug 2003, on OPT from Jan 2006 and on H1B from October 1st 2006. I started working in Feb 2006 in California. Throughout the year in 2006 Social security , medicare and disability taxes were deducted from my paycheck. Will I get a refund for these...

Tax filing - Contract position on OPT - F1 visa [ 2 Answers ]

I am a graduate student currently on an F1 visa and will have an H1B visa from October onwards. I graduated December 07 and worked on a contract position from 18th April 09 to 11th September 09. The company pays me an hourly rate and does not deduct taxes from my payment. I will move 14th...

Tax form for OPT CONTRACT worker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently working as OPT and this job is CONTRACT. My employer told me that I have to file income tax (federal tax, state tex etc) myself but I am not sure which tax form I should file and how much I should be paying since The company cannot withhold tax for contractor. I have...

Info on tax filing form for individual who worked on OPT and then went to > H1B [ 1 Answers ]

I entered the US in 8/2002 and graduated in 5/2006. I worked for a firm from 6/2006 - 5/2007 on an OPT. I then left the US as my opt had expired and got another firm to file for my H1B. I returned to the US on 10/2007 and got paid from 10/07-12/07 on h1b status. How should I go about filing for my...

View more questions Search