Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ConfusedTax's Avatar
    ConfusedTax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 4, 2012, 08:19 PM
    Form 8938 - savings account interest from foreign savings account
    Greetings. I already report a foreign savings account on the FBAR but I am not sure where to report interest from this account. Do I need to include this account in my form 8938 as well? What form should I use to report the interest? I am especially confused because the interest is already taxed in my home country.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 9, 2012, 12:33 PM
    You do NOT report interest on the FBAR, as the FBAR (Form Form TD F 90-22.1) is an information return on which you report the highest BALANCE in the account in the calendar year.

    Interest earned is reported on your federal INCOME tax return on Schedule B. You can claim the Foreign Tax Credit for the foreign tax on the interest by submitting Form 1116 fpr passive income.

    If your accounts exceed minimums set by the IRS, then, yes, you must include the accounts on Form 8938 (which IS submitted WITH the tax return) AND on your 2011 FBAR.

    If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health Savings Account (HSA) - Form 1099-SA [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have an HSA and received a 1099-SA with $250 in Box1 of the form. Last year most of my medical charges (~$2000) occurred in Nov and Dec. I received and paid the bills from my HSA in Jan'09 and yet to receive 1 or 2 more. So, these charges did not appear in Box1 for 2008 1099-SA. My...

Withholding taxes on savings account interest [ 2 Answers ]

Can I have my credit union withhold taxes on my savings dividends for me?

Interest in foreign savings - how to report on 1040 Schedule B? [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to enter the calculated dollar amount on the line "taxable interest" in the 1040 Schedule B? Would it be right just to put the name of the bank there and calculated dollar amount or is is a wrong form for this pupose? I couldn't find any other place I could possibly fill it in... ...

Savings Account [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there! I'm 23 years old. Both my girlfriend and I have good credit and decent income for our age. We want to purchase a home in the near future. What would be the best way to save for a down payment? Are there savings accounts that offer interest? What would be the best way to go?

View more questions Search