Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    stinefam's Avatar
    stinefam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 9, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Foreign income taxes
    My daughter worked in the US for the first six months and in the UK for the last 5 months of 2006. Roughly calculating her taxes she would get a sizeable refund if she only declared her US income and a much smaller refund if she declared all income and filed Form 1116. Must she declare ALL foreign income and if so, can she use the currency rate of 12/31/06 to covert the UK figures?
    taxsearcher's Avatar
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8
    Full Member

    Mar 9, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Is she a US citizen? If so she must include her worldwide income. Is she going to continue being over in the UK for a while yet? There are things she could review regarding getting the best tax result depending on her situation.
    stinefam's Avatar
    stinefam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 9, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Thank you for replying. Yes, she is a US citizen. She will be working in the UK until June when her visa runs out then travelling around for the rest of the year, probably not generating much income anywhere.
    taxsearcher's Avatar
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8
    Full Member

    Mar 9, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Yes as a citizen then she needs to include worldwide income. She now needs to look at the foreign tax credit or foreign earned income exclusion (which she will become eligible for if she remains abroad for sufficiently long). These things call all be found in Pub 519.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 11, 2007, 08:50 PM
    TaxSearcher has covered it all!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Tax on Foreign income ? [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my wife will be filing as "married filing jointly" for tax year 2006 as RESIDENT ALIENS based on passing the substantial presence test. We left the US for UK in June and have lived here ever since ( I cannot claim closer connection to UK based on applications made for change of status in...

Foreign Income, No W2 -- How to file? [ 1 Answers ]

From 1/2006 to 9/2006 I was working for a foreign entity overseas and thus do not have a W2 for these earnings. I do not qualify for the foreign earned income and housing exclusion - deduction. 1. What line on the 1040 should this income be filed under and what kind of explanation, if any,...

Marriage and Foreign Income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an U.S. resident alien and will live in and have income from U.S. all year of 2006. I am planning to marry someone (in the middle of 2006) who live in and have income from Hong Kong all year of 2006. 1) What will be my filing status of tax year 2006? 2) If it's "married", am I...

View more questions Search